Need advice, 2 quick questions

londonloco

Came back to the hobby after being out for 2.5 years (saltwater, I still have 7 freshwater tanks :rolleyes: ). I set up a nano, 20 gallon long, finding I want to add a nano protein skimmer. This tank is on a rack, and only has 23" of clearance, given that with the 20gl being 13" high, I'm having a hard time finding one that will give me enough room to empty the collection cup easily. I was leaning towards the Aquatic life mini skimmer, reviews are pretty good, guess I have a hard time wrapping my mind around 60$ and decent. No ATO, I do top off daily, not much as tank is covered, but water level is a concern. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm also mullling over breaking down one of my freshwater tanks and building a 40 gallon breeder-ish size reef. I'd like to consider a metal stand, but not sure where to have one welded. I'm in NOVA, anyone have a shop that will weld a stand for me?

Thanks all....

Every tank is different. I have a Tunze 9002, but it requires an exact water level to work right. It does a great job skimming though with a ATO. I highly recommend you get a Avast ATO. It is very important to have on any salt water set up. If I was going to use a hang on the back skimmer I would look at the Remora. I think Reef Octopus has a nice type also, but not sure if skimmer rating is for larger tanks. I have heard good things about the aqualife skimmer, but it cant be nearly as good as the tunze or remore. I also think Hydor has a new nano skimmer that is worth looking into.

I went with the Hydor Slim Skin, figured I'd return it if I'm not happy. Given this is a 20g long, I liked the small footprint. I also liked it's IN tank, the 20gl is on a rack, with a "emersed" plant system on the shelf below it, which has a light and power head on it, didn't want any chance of a HOB skimmer overflowing onto those wires. Meh, not too excited about it.

I am excited about the MP10 I just ordered today from TPP. I have a Koralia 2 on the tank, looks huge, bothered me. Should be here Monday, I can take a few hours for "play time".... :clap:

Haven't gotten any comments on a metal stand shops. No one has any shops to recommend for me?

NAGA built my steel stand for my custom tank. After he built it I had it powder coated by American Stripping Co. in Manassas, VA. I see you are in Manassas so that should be pretty easy for you. There are also a ton of metal shops off of Euclid. I bet if you went knocking on some over their doors they would be happy to build you a quick metal stand.

Just this minute I actually just found out my goooood friend can do this for me. He also knows someone who will powder coat it. Both build and powder coat for material cost only, case of miller lite will suffice for labor :biggrin: Thanks for the post, if this doesn't work out, I have a starting point.

• 1 month later...

Returned to Hydor Slim Skin, it was just too big for my liking, never got it wet. The MP10 is doing it's thing, and surprisingly quiet. Ended up ordering a glass tank, oak stand, sump and ATO reservoir from Adam. :lol2: I'm really excited about the new build :clap: