unkown thing

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

there are these little white (and or transparent) things all over my tank. they are probly around

post-572-1122398708_thumb.jpg

post-572-1122398733_thumb.jpg

post-572-1122398802_thumb.jpg

Guest minimalist

No clue what that stuff is but I'd get an ID ASAP. Post those pics at www.reefcentral.com and you'll get an ID within the hour. Hope this helps.

Sponge, a filter feeder.

Not that they eat (feed) on your filter but filter the water for their own feed.

They will equalize soon with most disapearing or being munched...

nothing to worry about unless "you" need too.

Take a syringe full of mix (1 tablespoon Kalk Powder or Joe Juicy or Vinegar with about a cup of water) and shoot directly into them.

I believe they are some type of Tubinara's or some type of sponge, but not sure about why they are killing their neighbors.

Update: I'd go with Chip's reply, looks like he actually knows what he is saying? :)

Guest greenthumb

The first pic shows a type of sponge growing. Good thing. However, it can take over so keeping it in check by physically removing it needs to be done. The other two pics sho that you have sea squirts multiplying. Again, a good thing. Let these go nuts. They are filter feeders and are very much welcomed in a reef.

hope that helps.

M

Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

thats awsome! those sea squirts poped up only like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and they're all over on the back of my tank. the sponge things look weird..but whatever.if they help the tank, then i wont um. thanks guys. oh and michelle, arent those sea squirts the things that you have growing on your overflows?

Edited by alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

it says i do not have permision to do it on reefcentral. :angry: oh well. it seems like you guys are correct, so ill just go with the flow and not worry about them.

They are sponges of a sort. Steve Tyree has done some writing about them if you're interested (google cryptic sponge). They shouldn't kill anything. I suspect something else is a foot with respect to your clavuria.

After the plankton in your tank has subsided, they will stop growing or reach a steady state.

-Tom

Guest alex wlazlak

i was looking around in one of my books, and sure enough they're a spong called tunicates or sea squirts. it didnt say too much about them, but ill keep the ones in my tank. is it normal to have this many of them in your bak pak filter????

Guest alex wlazlak

i was looking around in one of my books, and sure enough they're a spong called tunicates or sea squirts. it didnt say too much about them, but ill keep the ones in my tank. is it normal to have this many of them in your bak pak filter????

post-572-1122507409.jpg

post-572-1122507413_thumb.jpg

Hey Alex:

As stated, they will grow everywhere under and eventually in back of LR. I had a bunch and they now mostly appear in my sump, but the're behind my LR, etc, and there aren't many ones left out front.

They are harmless, so as for the mushrooms, or when ANY of your animals don't appear right, do the usual routine. Runs tests to check your water quality!

Whenever you aren't sure, just do a water change so if there is anything in the water you are at least diluting it. It a no-brainer.

Did you get the famous RO/DI filter?

In any case there are always setbacks. I think that your Live Rock looks pretty good. You finally deserve a complement and it looks as if you are heading in the right direction.

FF

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks.its good to hear that from someone else. :) . STILL no ro/di unit. i called one of my lfs and they said they have some for around like 130 or so, but they're only getting them in next weekend. but im trying to see if my dad will take me to That Fish Place (the store) and get one..i decided to go for the maxxima tfc ro/di unit, 50 gpd, for a whoping $250! ouch. oh well.

Guest alex wlazlak

shut up ;) . may i please beg you what site it is!!! i think that sounds just a little bit better than $250...

try this

If this doesn't work try typing ro/di in the seatch section.

Or type aqua safe in and see what it brings up.

Mine also comes with a TDS meter, wrench, pressure valve and 17' of extra tubing with a shutoff valve. Hope it's not junk. If it is I'll save you 50.00 and sell it to you for 200.00. :D J/K

Guest alex wlazlak

hmmm. i dont understand why the H-E-double hocky sticks they are so darn cheap..sounds fishy.did you happen to have a number that i can reach them at??i have a dentist appointment on monday, so if this thing isnt good, im goin to the fish place..when you get it hooked up, lemme know how it is.thanks

Guest alex wlazlak

thats all i needed! thanks a bunch, and im sold on tha0t one!!