Cyano

Guest Keyoke

Guest Keyoke

Gang,

I've been having a problem with cyano for the last, oh 4 months now.

It's not covering everything, but it is collecting in thick mats on rocks and the sand.

Anyone have any suggestions on a combative strategy for this stuff?

Tank parameters are very goood at the moment. PH is 8.2, Amonia / Nitrite / nitrates are all undetectable with my red sea kit.. dunno about Phosphates & Calcium as I don't have a kit for these. Ca wise I think iim doing OK as I've got Halamedia growing quite well and the maxima, and digitatas seem to be doing OK.

I think a major prob is that I'm not using RO/DI water, just the store bought distilled stuff..

I'll probably do a water change this weekend, shoot for 20-30 gal or so....

any other steps I can take?

Keyoke,

Not using RO/DI water is the most likely cause of your cyano problem, which you already identified.

I've found that areas with too little water flow are the first places cyano starts to form. Can you increase your circulation a bit in addition to using RO/DI water?

In the mean time, siphon that crud up when you do your water changes. It won't fix the problem, but it will slow the spread.

Jon

Gang,

I've been having a problem with cyano for the last, oh 4 months now.

It's not covering everything, but it is collecting in thick mats on rocks and the sand.

Anyone have any suggestions on a combative strategy for this stuff?

Tank parameters are very goood at the moment. PH is 8.2, Amonia / Nitrite / nitrates are all undetectable with my red sea kit.. dunno about Phosphates & Calcium as I don't have a kit for these. Ca wise I think iim doing OK as I've got Halamedia growing quite well and the maxima, and digitatas seem to be doing OK.

I think a major prob is that I'm not using RO/DI water, just the store bought distilled stuff..

I'll probably do a water change this weekend, shoot for 20-30 gal or so....

any other steps I can take?

35253[/snapback]

Guest maestro774

I've been having the same problem lately. My cyano problem also cropped up a few months ago almost out of nowhere. I have a feeling mine has something to do with the age of my RODI filters. Can phosphates cause cyano also? Mine are undetectable but I hear they will be as long as something is there to use it.

Guest minimalist

You should test your RO/distilled water for phosphates. If you're testing 0 phosphates in the tank this is because the cyano is using it for nutrients before it can reach detectable levels. Increased flow is a good idea but water source is the KEY.