Mangroves

MBVette

So I bought my tanks for my species specfic seahorse tanks; they will be there the end of the week. So now I am trying to figure out aquascaping and such for a tank like this.

I would love to get my hands of some old tonga branch rock if anyone knows a source; but I have been thinking about putting a bunch of mangroves in which should help with some filtration and give the seahorses some nice things to hang onto. My question is, how do you secure the mangroves so they stay at the right heights and vertical?

Thanks for any help

i use pond plant baskets and fill with old bio balls you can take 1/2 pvc pipe no need to glue and make hanger using 2 90 s just make sure the back pipe is long enough to support when the plant gets bigger and zip tie the baskets to them

Edited by tightline

i use pond plant baskets and fill with old bio balls you can take 1/2 pvc pipe no need to glue and make hanger using 2 90 s just make sure the back pipe is long enough to support when the plant gets bigger and zip tie the baskets to them

if you dont want to use bio balls you could use shells or crushed up coral would work anything to hold mangrove in place tell the roots so through the pot and you should get those at any petsmart or pond store

Im not sure that will work for what I want to do. Since these would be put into the display tank and will be a big part of what the seahorses would hopefully attach to the basket idea I think takes away from that.

ok the only other wayi know is old over flow box drill a bunch of holes and fill with crushed coral other than that i got no idea

Edited by tightline

ok the only other wayi know is old over flow box drill a bunch of holes and fill with crushed coral other than that i got no idea

I use something similar except it's the actual overflow box itself. I thinks it's important to have god flow over and around both the surface and thru the media.

IMG_2264.jpg

btw, if you are looking for a benefit via filtration, look elsewhere. Keep these plants for the love of plants or as hitching posts for the horses.

(edited)

just found a couple things that might work, what do you think about this? Best I can tell is that its a sheet of acrylic that is drilled for the mangroves, I just cant figure out the little tabs that he has on there.

mangrovetabs.jpg

shtank030211.jpg

Edited by MBVette

those tabs are for zip tying the mangroves in place.

the down side to that method is foliage and roots will not permit future removal of the plants without damage to one or the other.

I would suggest gluing the tabs on alternating sides of the strip and loosely zip tying the mangroves in place, if you like that method.

Not a bad idea all in all.

I use something similar except it's the actual overflow box itself. I thinks it's important to have god flow over and around both the surface and thru the media.

IMG_2264.jpg

btw, if you are looking for a benefit via filtration, look elsewhere. Keep these plants for the love of plants or as hitching posts for the horses.

I have used a piece of egg crate which I cut down. if tank is covered, it will look reasonable, could be removable, and will not block very much light. if mangroves are of a reasonable size, will not even need zip ties.