MP10esw + Apex Question

schulzjp

(edited)

Can anyone explain what added functionality the Apex provides to the MP10esw that the MP10 cannot do on its own?

The Apex can just turn the vortech on and off. If you have the Apex hooked up to the internet, you could turn it on or off from your cell phone/the internet. For example, you could make it turn off during feeding times via the Apex.

If you get the AquaBus Wireless Expansion Module (WXM) you get these extra features:

Wirelessly controls any of Ecotech's wireless pumps (WWD or EcoSmart).

11 Independent channels to support 11 pumps.

Supports Ecotech's Constant, Reef Crest, Lagoon Random, Pulse, Sync and Anti-Sync modes.

Modes of operation can be changed through the day.

Plug and Play. Automatically recognized when installed into the system.

Pumps can be dynamically added/removed from the system.

Two AquaBus connectors for flexible expansion via AquaBus

Comes with 3' AquaBus cable.

Fully upgradeable.

WXM firmware and pump firmware can be updated for feature enhancement.

Led Status indicator and wireless status indicator

Compatible with Apex and Apex Lite systems

(So the WXM would allow you to control/change what mode the vortech is running in, not just on/off which is all the apex can do by itself. Another thing you could do, is program the apex to make the vortech run in different modes each day. For example, my vortech, uncontrolled by a wxm, runs in Lagoon mode 24/7. If I had a wxm, it's my understanding that I could then run the vortech in a gentle night mode in the evening, lagoon mode in the morning, and reef crest in the afternoon).

Here are some reviews on the WXM.

Edited by Ryan S

I use the Apex solely for the purpose of turning my two 10's and two 40's on and off. I know that you can set the MP's for 'night mode' but that is limited to (eight hours ??) of reduced flow for each pump. I have my 40's set to cut off and the 10's cut on (at 50% power on reefcrest) when the white LEDs go off at night, then the reverse (40's cut on at 100% reefcrest) happens when the white LEDs cut on.

(edited)

So it looks to me like the big bonus is that by using the WXM module you will have 100% control the pumps from any location using the web server. If you used the wired version using the VDM or built in dimming feature of the full apex you will not be able to change modes of the pump (reef or lagoon) using the server (although you can still turn it on/off). If this is true is there are reason to connect these pumps to the VDM when they have their own controllers build in or would you not use the VDM and just plug it straight into the outlet?

I also want to confirm that both the wired and wireless MP10 have the configurable modes (reef & lagoon), its just that if you want multiple pumps to run these modes in sync you need the wired version?

Edited by schulzjp