Hoping to cycle tank for the first time this weekend

kobustabus

Hi everyone! New to the saltwater world... looking forward to start up a mini-reef aquarium very soon. I currently have a 24-gallon half cylinder Cardiff tank and stand. I think I have things in order...bought an AI sol blue and controller, a vortech mp10w es, heater, ATO, refractormeter, test kits, RO/DI unit, and some odds and ends. Currently the tank is lonely and wants some water to go in with that said, I'm looking for some advice when it comes to two questions:

1.) the classic live rock vs. base rock debate.

Because I'm new, I'm trying to learn what would be the best move. I have read about the advantages and disadvantages of each. I am nervous about the pests that will inevitably come with live rock, but also understand that is part of the hobby. Is it possible to purchase LR from a LFS that is high-quality and already cured to the point that I could just fill my tank, drop in and begin cycling? One issue I have is ly the lack of space at the townhouse to put rock in tubs and cure over time. I can deal with paying bit more to know I can drop right in to cycle my brand new tank... Or should I purchase base rock, put that in my tank and cycle, seeding it with possibly a couple lbs of live? Or over time, and I know it would take several months, would clean base rock become as bacteria filled and a solid biological filter as cured live rock. I am in no hurry to cycle, just wanted to start this thing up.

2.) live sand

Benefits of live sand? If I were to put in live sand and base rock, would that help in the cycling? I was originally planning to put in live rock and live sand, but folks on-line seem to mix a lot. I know my tank is small and that is why I was originally going to go the all live route, but have been thinking in circles the past week and thought I would ask the advice of some true experts.

Anything else I am missing???

Much appreciated!!!

Greg

Falls Church, VA

I bought 125 lbs of live rock without a single pest. I wouldn't say pests are inevitable. For a tank your size, it's not going to cost a lot for sand no matter which way you go. So you might as well get live sand.

I would go with base rock and just seed it with a few small pieces of live rock. It is cheaper and there is less chance of getting a pest crab, shrimp, or algae. There are also several bacteria loaded products on the market that can be added to the base rock to get the nitrogen cycle going. Yes, adding live sand to the base rock would also help to seed the rock.

I would go with base rock and just seed it with a few small pieces of live rock. It is cheaper and there is less chance of getting a pest crab, shrimp, or algae. There are also several bacteria loaded products on the market that can be added to the base rock to get the nitrogen cycle going. Yes, adding live sand to the base rock would also help to seed the rock.

i agree with all this advice...ive used a product called bio-spira to speed up the cycling process and regardless to what others say, it worked for me. definitely get live sand too. also noticed no skimmer in your equiptment list, if you havent yet it makes a big difference.

My cycle was only 2 weeks long. I had 100% new sand and dry rock. I used large shrimp & Nutrafin: Cycle to speed it up greatly. If you use some live sand or rock (even a small amount) you'll only be helping the process along that much faster!

Oh, I do have a skimmer, although it came with the tank so I am sure it is far from spectacular. Some folks have suggested other to purchase a nano reef skimmer, but I wanted to give the one that came with it a trial run, in hopes of trying to keep the clean look of all equipment contained in the back of the tank. From my findings, some posts have made it sound that if I keep up on weekly water changes then I may be able to get away with what I have. It is worth a try at first and I can surely upgrade if I feel the one I have is inadequate.

I think I have decided to go with live rock. For the amount I need for a 24-gallon, I know dry rock or a mix would be cheaper and less hitchhikers, but I think it would be great to try and hope it doesn't come to bite me later. I went to several LFS this past week and none of them seemed to have a good supply of live rock and were awaiting shipments... or maybe I was still trying to psych myself up to buy live rock.... but I am hopeful to pick some up tomorrow and have the next phase of setup begin. Is it common for LFS to tell you that a dry rock cycle will take months and months to cycle in order to convince you to buy live rock for 3x the price? Ryan S' cycle was efficient... and now has me second guessing what I thought I figured out... hahaha.

I will post some pics soon... right now it is just an empty tank in the corner of the room... but I am excited to start up and be part of the hobby. One question I did have... when you are cycling a brand new tank with live rock, would you leave your lights on in the same schedule as you would when it is stocked? I have seen both schools of thought (leave the light off during cycling to prevent algae growth or on for whats inside to get acclimated to the schedule), but my thought is that the live organisms on the rock need that light cycle to survive and multiply. I am far from an expert.

Thanks again for all of your help.