Quick question

zoom2zoom

Well I'll let other chime in, because i could be wrong. If you using live rock and water from the same tank I don't see why you need to cycle.

Edit:

No substrate I assume.

Edited by EGKS

Quick questions beget new questions...

What's the purpose of the QT? You don't need to cycle anything but if you're running it as just a QT then you're fine with what you've stated. If you're intending on treating, thereby creating a hospital tank instead of a QT, then you have to consider whether your rock will be usable again if you contaminate it with medications. The easiest method for a hospital tank is to keep some sponge filters in your sump so that you can toss them into a tank whenever needed, whether for QT or for treatment.

By the way, if your bioload exceeds what your biological filter can handle then you're going to go through a cycle so it also depends on what you're intending to put in there. For instance, if you put in 5 lbs of rock and then put in a 10" fish, you're going to cycle. Likewise if you put in 10 small fish you'll likely cycle as well. If you put in a 20 lb rock and a couple of small fish, you won't cycle.

Ahh. Ok. Maybe i shouldnt have call it QT tank.. My pair of clown fish just laid eggs over the weekend, so my intention was to catch some of the fry right after the hatch and put the in the nano cube before they get eaten by other fish

I was going to put about 5 lbs of rock from my refugium, no substrate

I wouldn't even add the rock to it, just put the seasoned water in and use tank water for water changes. Also, don't put any filtration on there other than something to aerate the water. Take a look at some of the threads by some of our breeders or check out MOFIB.org (I think).

the little baby clowns with most certainly become filter fodder once introduced to the overflow and pump on the nano cube...

Must Reads:

Clownfishes-Joyce Wilkerson

and

Plankton Culture Manual- Frank Hoff and Terry Snell

Very Basic but successful ways to breed (Er.... successfully breed....not my me failed everytime) clownfish....

I have always wanted to do this but I always would get something wrong....

Some members also have live rotifers and I'm sure would give you a culture to start them. That said, you'll definitely need the "green water" whether it's frozen or live. You need plenty of rotifers to feed a bunch of hungry little clowns, but I think you can wait a couple of days post hatch due to their yolk sac.

My LFS only has frozen rotifers. Will this work? As the eggs should be hatching any night now And I didn't have time to order live ones online

Or does any member here can sell some live ones and live in northern va?

last night the eggs hatched, and i was able to transfer about 50 fry to a 14 gallon nanocube that i had set up using the same water, live rock from the established tank. no filter - only air stone and heater.

this morning when i went to check, i was only able to see about 5 are left... which is sad and not exactly sure what happened.

i didnt feed them rotifers yet as i was going to get them tonight.

not sure what i need to do differently next time.

A few suggestions.

How did you transfer? Siphoning is rough on them. if you can catch with a cup it is better for them.

No need for liverock, just use the same water and an airstone, siphon the bottom everyday, and replace that water. Have Clor-Amx for the water. Have a gentle airflow, not a rolling boil.

Were they really acting erratic? Spinning/Darting? Could be atttributed to quality of the fry, make sure you feed lots to mom and dad, quality food, and supplement if you can. Better yeilds, better fry.

Have the rotifers established and feeding/multiplying well before you start trying to breed. Have your BBS setup ready. Try some BBS hatches and feed to the main tank for practice.

You will have eggs again in 2 weeks, and in 2 more, and in 2 more. Patientce will be rewarded.

Keep at it! You'll get it.