Maxspect LED's

STEVE

Looking for fellow reefers in the DC, VA, MD area that are using Maxspect LEDs. Would like to compare notes, settings, etc.

I've looked at them a lot. Along with the Radions. Haven't made up my mind which way I want to go yet. Or even if I want to just fall back to MH and let the LED technology develope more.

How long have you been running them? What critters are you keeping with them? Do you have any progress photos? I'd love to know what your experience is with them.

Only about 2 months...Just wondering if I can do better on the spectrum. Thinking about adding a stunner strip or a couple of t-5's to add some blue. I have a mixed tank with about 15 pieces of coral and about 10 fish and 2 cleaner shrimp.

2 leather

4 sps

2 acans

3 clusters of shrooms

2-single shrooms

1 hammer

2 frogspawn

1 small maxiam clam

I've been using LED's for about 3 years now. I've tried 5 different brands and have settled on a DIY with NW,CW, RB mix.

LED's provide good usable light with little heat and very little spectral disintegration. Bottom line is that the blue/white mix grows corals well. How it looks to you or the next guy is where everyone has diifferent opinions as to what makes the 'perfect' light combination.

As soon as you can get over brand A vs. brand B, and actually install a full LED light, you'll kick yourself for waiting so long.

zygote2k, Funny you should say that.....I am actually looking into having some built, or at least adding some to supplement mine.

I love mine, I built them from rapidled.com. They were ran for about a year so not a lot of observation time, but can say not heat and ran higher par numbers than my MH set-up. A little spotlight effect at first but switched to 60 deg optics and loved them after that.

MAXSPECT........WoW....I just took some PAR reading....I am confused ! At the top of the tank 126 !!!!! yep, you heard right....126! Do I have them mounted too high? They are mounted 8 inches off the waters surface. Any feedback would be great. I hope someone has an explanation. I'll be in my room cryin with my Teddy Bear if anyone is looking for me. $$$$$

Actually the maxpect say around 4 to 6 inches off the water. Is that at 100% Intensity? That cant be right?? What optics do you have in? Maxpect comes with interchangeable degree optics if I am not mistaken.

They are 9.5 inches off the water, I just measured them this morning. I raised them up so I would not get the "spotlighting " look. I am going to lower them down to 5.75 inches tonight. I talked to Chris at Maxspect and he said the same thing. Are you using Maxspects Novi?

ooops, I am using the 100degree optic...just to not get the drop off on the edges, I hope when I lower them, the coverage will still be ok.