retrofit metal haylides

clearsky57

I am getting ready to attach some metal haylide reflectors to my wooden canopy and have a couple questions..

1. as there were no lights attached to the canopy to begin with, is it necessary to mount something to the underside of it before I attach the reflectors? ie... piece of flashing or something like that to deflect heat?

2. I was thinking of adding some spacers between the reflector and the canopy, to keep them off the wood... any thoughts???

I plan to add two fans to the top as well to disperse heat, unless it is overkill...

david

In an old canopy I used to use, the "reflector" was just a flat piece of sheet metal. I simply screwed it directly to the top of the canopy and never had any issues with it. I always ran fans in the hood to help move heat out of the canopy. Here's a picture of it:

IMG_2798_2.JPG

Hey david -

It's not necessary to have flashing or spacers behind the reflectors. It will not generate even close to enough heat to set wood on fire. Adding the fans at the top if the canopy is closed in is a good idea. I always used a fan or two on each side drawing air in and the fans in the top between the halides blowing air out and it seemed to work well.

Marc

Edited by Marc Weaver