Helfrichi and gold head sleeper - not friends?

beatle

So I just picked up a Helfrichi firefish from Petland tonight. Nice looking fish, but small. I acclimated and put him in the tank. Within just a few seconds I noticed my gold head sleeper goby starting to chase him. I've never seen him chase another fish, even my red and purple firefish. If anything, I expected my midas blenny to chase (he chases the sleeper occasionally). I fed the tank some frozen and everyone ate, including the helfrichi. The chasing resumed shortly after feeding. I cut the lights and am now pondering what to do.

The only thing I can think of is that they are similar body shapes and both have gold heads, but that's about it. The sleeper is about twice the size of the helfrichi. Is this just the way it goes?

gobies that have similiar coloring will usually fight for space. i would change the sleeper gobies dwelling area if it keeps being a bully. Usually with soime sort of change in landscape will change the behavioral dynamics of the fish. Works great for tangs, and pretty much any other fish that becomes territorial, change the territory and the fish will re-assimilate.

Hope that helps

Sean

Are they in the 120g? If the problem is because of what Sean said, then I imagine that in a tank that size if the firefish can find a space to stick to, the goby won't feel threatened anymore and chill out. You may have to take the goby out for a day or something so the firefish can find its new home in the tank.

Yes, they're both in the 120. I'd thought about not keeping the sleeper prior to this. Not sure if I'll be able to catch him...

Maybe I can move a few rocks, but the sleeper doesn't stick to a particular territory anyway.

Maybe I can move a few rocks, but the sleeper doesn't stick to a particular territory anyway.

That's the problem then, because the goby thinks the entire tank is his territory. Fish that don't make a home can be a real pain to deal with.

I have found that the sleeper gobies are territorial over whichever den they have. Other types of gobies and dartfish will share the same dens, but the gold headed in my experience will not. I used to have 3 bar gobies and a firefish that shared a den with two different types of sleeper gobies, but they never could share a den with the gold headed ones.

I came home about 2 hours after lights came on and the new guy is still active and swimming around. I fed and everyone ate, including him. The aggression seems to have subsided a bit. His tail did not look like it had been nipped and he doesn't show any signs of stress which is a relief. That said, I'll keep monitoring and may pull the goby out if it keeps up or it looks like the firefish is starting to show signs of stress.

Just to offer some closure, everyone seems to be getting along. I don't really see any aggression. I guess sometimes it just takes time. Whew!