naso

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

i am interested in a naso tang.they are really neat, and i can get a smaller one for $30. is that a good price for a small one?iv'e seen them for i think $90 for a 9 incher. are they easy to keep, and do they grow fast?!??on the site it says the tank size should be a 75g when they get big.and thats only 6 more inches wider than my tank now..i have a yellow tang and heard that your not sopposed to mix tangs..is that true?or is there only certain tangs that dont commonly get along? i know FOR SHORE that by next fall i will have atleast a 90g tank set up, so room wont really be an issue, and if it gets too big, ill take it to my LFS. so tell me what you guys think of my questions..thanks

i personally woundt put a naso in anything shroter then a 6 foot tank(once it gets a little bigger) the naso and acanthurus species of tangs really need space unlike zebrasoma who can be in smaller tanks (although some will diagree with that also ) as far as getting along with the othere tang i would say 50/50 i have a desjardini and a yellow togethere and a hippo and kole together but all fish ahve diferent attitudes

Guest clownfish4

Nasos need at least a 180 but over 200 in my opinion.

Guest alex wlazlak

yeah, they do get somwhat long and thats what id be worried about.i hate that some of the 110's are 4'x2'x2', i do like the depth though, but if it was like 2 feet longer... words cannot explain how happy id be. but my friends dad got a 4x2x2 waiting for me..but for $30 and smaller naso isnt that bad, and id give it probly im guessing 2 years before it would reach like 7 inches?how fast do they grow?and if it grows to where its too big, my LFS has 4 big ass tanks..

Guest alex wlazlak

yeah, i thought 75 was prettly small..

Guest clownfish4

They grow very fast, probably up to 7" in less than a year. Don't buy fish that can't live in your tank as adults.

Guest alex wlazlak

darnit! what kinds of fish do you recomend for a 55?i have a yellow tail damsel, rock blennie, yellow tang, and a clown.

Guest clownfish4

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your 55 is close to its bioload. Maybe a royal gramma to finish it off.

Guest alex wlazlak

that is so crazy that you said that, honest to god, i had a royal grama before!!but it died from ammonia problems..:( i tryed to get the damsel out, but its too shy and hides in the rocks.i wanna get a cleaner shrimp.i had one of those before too, but it died while trying to shed its shell. i add nothing to my tank except for purple up, which i didnt add for probly 2 months, and zoo plex for the zoos and feather, but didnt add that for awhile..do you think i should add that for them now?and i herd you need iodine for the shrimp to shed properly.could you give me a list of what all i need to add?i dont really have any idea of what to buy and add.im going to that fish place in lancaster on saturday, and they have pretty much anything you can think of..so gimmie a little list of what all you think i'd need..ill probly pick up a cleaner shrimp, some snails, and hermit crabs, and an ro/di unit for shore.

I shouldn't speak for Grav, but I will anyway. I assume that he means that we have all made plans for things that didn't wind up happening. If you buy a fish that won't fit in your current tank based on the plan to get a new tank, what happens if someone breaks the tank you have coming? Your fish suffer and sooner or later (sooner) your 55 will crash again. Better to keep only the fish that can thrive in your 55 and plan for what fish you will want to keep in the bigger tank once you have it up and stable.

As for additives, I've never heard of purple up. I guess from the name that it is intended to spur coraline algae growth. I wouldn't be inclined to put anything unknown into my tank just to promote coraline alagae. Not familiar with zooplex either, so I looked it up on wetwebmedia. They weren't to fond of it. Generally said that they wouldn't trust unrefrigerated, undated food as a regular food source.

The use of iodine is controversial at best. There is no established correct level for tanks, some people say you don't need it at all, others say you need it for specific corals/inverts. I use a minimal dosage once a week, which may be ineffective as it is said that iodine is going to be used up within 24 hours. Unfortunately, you can really poison your tank by overdoing it with the iodine, so the risk may not be worth the reward for you. Based on what has gone on with your tank, I would think that doing weekly 5-10 gallon water changes (I would recommend closer to 10) would be more beneficial than dosing any element. Do remember this rule, if you are going to dose it, make sure you know what the proper level should be and test to make sure you are at that level. If you can't test for it, don't add it.

well said ^^^

My point Alex, is that you have been talking about getting a bigger tank for some time now. Even if your cousin gives you a 120g you don't have $500 for a stand, $800 for lights, $400 for a skimmer or $1000 for pumps, heaters, kalc reactors RO/DI units, a hood and upgrading the electrical in your house.... You have no location for it, and honestly (I'm sorry if this is hard to hear) I think you lack the experiance. You don't have a basic understanding of many concepts. That doesn't mean you are a bad person, you are just young and new.... TAKE YOUR TIME grasshopper!!! With a bigger tank as your weapon, I fear you will just kill more stuff more faster.

I think you should forget about a 90, 120.... whatever... and just have & enjoy & love your 55g. Great things could happen in a 55g. I had a 33g for 4 years and I don't have the financial and transportation limitations of a HS student. That tank evolved so much from one year to the next, it was amaizing.

And its FOR SURE. The Shore is where water hits the beach.

Alex:

You bring up a lot of questions about Aquarium inhabitants or care and maintenance, but it doesn't sound as if you are looking up the information posted about these fish or coral on online sellers. At that info can be misleading too.

Most of us didn't know the specific needs about these things until we bought a book. Or two, or three. So instead of making a hasty decision and buying a fish that is incorrect for your tank....

....spend those bucks and begin to build your own "reference library".

Whatever you buy is not a bargain if it doesn't live. Buy books at the WAMAS shop or pick up something used. Different authors offer different experiences and you use these as a basis to put together your own plan.

Questions are always a part of learning and they are all welcome. However don't spend time focused on the tank, focus on improving yourself.

Oh, and don't forget the regular water changes. Congrats on the RO unit. That will be your biggest improving factor for a long time.

"Dilution is the solution to pollution". -Calfo

A friend of mine has a naso, purple, and yellow tang in his 150long and they all get along, but if you have a yellow or purple already in your tank, they will probably go after the naso. And also they need alot of room to swim at least a 6' log tank, they grow fast.

Eric

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks everyone..i can get where all of you guys are coming from, and i dont have too much experiens, but theres kinda only one way to learn too.....but im just gonna take everything slow if i do get a new tank, and i can use the same lighting i have now until i need to upgrade, and the ro/di is coming this weekend. my dad is also very cool, and will probly end up goin half's for the more expensive stuff..so thats always good.and in shop class next year i am making a stand :).but then things will always end up being more and more money. oh and whenever i do change water, even 3 gallons, nitrites and ammonia get real bad, then fish die, then i get pissed.so imeyer, thats gonna be a problem..im just gonna start to do small changes ever week hopefully.

Guest clownfish4

Alex, you get spikes because you aren't using ro water. As soon as you get your unit don't be affraid to do water changes.

Alex, you get spikes because you aren't using ro water.  As soon as you get your unit don't be affraid to do water changes.

34363[/snapback]

bump.

BTW Alex, per the instructions on membranes I have seen, let the RO unit run for a couple of hours, throw out (or use for other purposes) water generated during that time. After the 2 hour break in period, you can start using the water for your tank. Oh yeah, you will also want to buffer the RO water before adding to your tank if you are using it for top off. Might pick up some Reef Builder to provide the buffer. Also not a bad idea when you are mixing water for a water change to aerate the water for 24 hours before adding to your tank and matching top off water temp and pH to tank temp and pH. If I remember correctly you had some concern that you were disturbing the substrate when you did the water change and that it was the disturbance to the substrate that caused the spikes. I doubt it, but if you want to be really careful, either pour in (or drip) the replacement water slowly so you don't touch the substrate or put a barrier above the substrate while you are pouring the water in the tank.

Guest alex wlazlak

i usually pour spring water (thats what i use) into my filters, i figured it would kinda get mixed with the saltwater when i put it in there..thats when i just add regular water for topin off.so you guys think i shouldnt add ANYTHING to my tank except for reef buffer, and i use proper ph when needed.oh and calcium or kalk.

Guest alex wlazlak

darnit, yet another bad thing i thought was good but baddd. so let me get this, you can drink the stuff, but you cant put it in your tank :huh: im confused. i had posted somthing a long time ago, and i asked what type of water to use, and someone said spring...but i am getting an ro/di unit, but whats bad about spring wata?

Guest clownfish4

Spring water has minerals and what not that are good for humans in it. However saltwater fish really need the cleanest and purist H2O possible.

Guest alex wlazlak

if you dont have an ro/di unit, would it be better to use spring water or well water?