red buble algae

RicSG

How to get rid of it. Tank was doing great and within last two weeks the tank has gone from perfectly clean to green hair algae mixed with red bubble algae. I only have three fish in a 90 gal tall tank. water is being skimmed. Last time checked my water condition was all good but nitrate was little high. I will be adding rocks soon but wondering how to get rid of red bubble algae?

would like too see a picture

also how often u feed and how much

you lighting times as well how long on

also any clean up crew if so what

Edited by wvreef

I will get some pics tonight. I am very bad in feeding, most of the time they get once a day feeding. They are used to eating like that and they are still very healthy and fat. Light did not change as it has been like this for a while. It turns on around 2PM and goes off at 9PM I have few crabs and lots of nassarius snails. The crabs killed all my Astrea snails, so need to buy some more. I will be putting in new rocks this weekend as I never got chance since I bought them a month ago. I only have 30 lbs of rocks in a huge tank for now. It was from my old tank when I upgraded.

Sorry I am more worried about the red bubble algae coz it is spreading rapidly from my sump to the main tank. Green hair I think I can manage that by water change and buying mythrax crab, correct.

what is your phosphate level in the tank right now

sounds like it might be a little high, reduce your light time a little wil help as well,I only have my mh on for 6 hrs a day, with actinic on for around 10 hrs with no white light until mh come on

what do u have in your sump?

Since I only have LED and no sunrise and sunset I will reduce it to 6 hours. So night night fishes, lol. I never tested phosphate level. I will get the tester and will find out today i.e if I can find a phosphate tester. My sump only has Cheato. That is also getting overloaded with red slime and red bubble algae.

Yep. That stuff can spread fast. Try manual removal. Just don't break the bubble. That's how it spreads. There are spores in the bubble. I had a tiny peice of it attached to rock with a pretty shroom on it. Someone came to pick something up and told me they liked red bubble algae and asked if they could have some. I hadn't a clue as to what it was. I thought it was macro algae so I cut off a piece and gave it to them. that night I researched and found that it was red bubble alge. Luckily It didn't spread so badly. It went away on it's own. Burnt once, twice shy...that wont happen again.

Yes, but I don't consider it a problem. It is only growing on a couple of rocks that I built from cement and in my algae trough. If it starts to cover everything I may have to think of a way to eliminate it, but for now, I kind of like it.

oh okay. Mine is almost like that and I have seen spreading fast. So I really want to control now before it is out of hand. So does anyone have any solution for it.

Do you have any kind of media reactor to help lower Nitrates, Phosphates? I'd try running RowaPhos which is pricey but awesome or some kind of Bio-Pellet to help fight the good fight. Also if your fish dont eat there food within 2-4 minutes your feeding to much.

I do use carbon in sack. The carbon I got it very good from our wamas member. Other than that I do not dose anything or run any reactor. I will try and buy RowaPhos but in the mean time please let me know what else can I do to get rid of it. All advices are appreciated.