help with lighting please

clearsky57

I managed to acquire an older canopy, (with relatively new bulbs) from a fellow in Richmond, but...... the canopy has seen better days and I don't think I like the configuration of the sockets....

This is a PFO Light 2- 175 watt bulbs and a huge transformer, 18"x8"x6".... suppose that is the norm for these older lights...

the two sockets face each other, but rather than some separation, (ie... so that they fit over the openings in my 75 gal tank,) they almost meet in the center of the canopy.... My thought would be to have them further out, but that isn't a big deal I guess..

the other thing is the lights are hard wired to the transformer, but it would appear as though there are two recepticles in it also...

If I were to buy new reflectors, and wire them with plugs are they pretty universal?.( these look like three prongs, in a square plastic recepticle.).. or failing that, I suppose I could harvest the reflector from the canopy, and mount it in my tank top, (wooden top) and add fans or whatever neccessary ventilation needed to compensate for them and change the spacing between the ones on there,

thanks for any input...

It looks like someone drilled the cover and hard wired new cords into the PFO ballast enclosure instead of using the two existing receptacles. I bet if you pop off the cover you will find the two receptacles disconnected. Getting new spider reflectors and wiring them up to that ballast should be easy.

CH:

in fact it is..... (hard wired) looks like the cut the wires from the back of the recepticles, maybe the didn't like the connection????

anyhow, do you think I should buy new reflectors with sockets to re-do the lights???

I dont like the fact that they were so close in the reflector, as it would be more light in the center of the tank, as opposed to spreading them out a bit more???

mabe they wanted less light towards the ends of the tank???

If I decide to go the route of putting on new reflectors, is there a product I can put on the underside of the canopy (my wood one) so as to deflect some of the heat caused by the bulb??

I would get spider reflectors if you have the space and funds. They will provide much better light spread then what you have. I don't really know of any product to reflect the heat. If the hood has proper ventilation the heat should not be a problem but adding a small fan might help. Many people mount spider reflectors directly to the hoods without issues.

I priced spider reflectors on reefers direct and they are $30 each (free shipping) I will look on BRS before I get them but the price seems good....

they have two different products.. one a "low profile" which is only 2.75" deep.. the regular one 5" deep....

If it isn't a problem, I will probably get the low profile, as it gives me a little more flexibility in mounting and such...

assuming the sockets are included, (which I plan on checking on) which by the pics it seems that way, I will probably go that route.

thanks for the answers....

david