90 gallon holes

wvreef

Ok I have a 90 gallon tank that i want to drill holes in it for my sump under it....I need some help with where to drill the holes, size of the holes and how many to drill...

thanks

EDIT: Your build thread says you're going to use the 1500GPH kits from glass-holes. If that is the case, you don't need to worry about size of the holes and how many to drill as far as your overflow goes. The kit should already have the holes in the overflow (2 i believe). You'll just need to figured out where you want to put the box and drill holes in the glass accordingly to line up with the holes in the overflow box. I have mine back wall center. Some people prefer the side walls.

Still have to worry about your return lines. (which is explained below)

If you arent going the glass-holes route then read on :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 75 that I drilled. I initially went the 3 holes (1 for durso and 2 for my return lines). The durso was too noisy for my liking so I drilled another hole for a herbie style overflow. So that makes 4 holes total ( 2 for overflow and 2 for my returns). There is even the bean animal style which is 3 holes for your overflow.

Its a matter of personal preference and which overflow method you decide to go with.

My holes sizes are 3x 3/4" holes (2 for my returns and 1 for my emergency drain pipe) and 1 x 1.5" for my main full siphon drain.

I used 3/4" for my returns because thats what my return pump called for. yours maybe different. My returns are at the corners of my tank. You probably could go with 1" drain line.

I believe the rule of thumb is to keep holes 1-1.5x the diameter of the hole you are making away from the trim of the tank.

You can check out my build thread if you want.

When you do decide to drill your holes, use a template. Take a piece of plywood and cut out a hole the size of your bit. It will help out so much in the long run when you dont have the bit sliding across the glass. I wish I had done that when i drilled mine.

Since Im a newbie and speaking from my own personal experience, hopefully other more seasoned members will chime in will correct me on anything ive said.

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

thanks for the excellent info....you r right on the glass hole kit it comes with everything i need to do it....i was not sure if that is the best way to gothat is why i was asking for some advice about that....

I agree with you on that I do not want to go under 1" on either one... thanks for the info guys looks like I will be making a purchase thru glass holes for my overflow box and all