Need Help

Dell2go

I have 4 IC 660 ballasts. I just finished wiring. When I plug the power cord the lamps lid on for 1 sec then off. All 3 ballasts do that except one. I run 3 T5 lamps for one ballast. The lamps are 4 feet long and 54 watts. Is it the wiring problem or the ballasts problem? Anyone knows please help.

TIA,

Edited by Dell2go

Yea I nkow, the 660 ballast is meant usally runs 4 though I guess 3 would just over drive the bulbs, i've always done 4 bulbs I've never tried three, you may also try less like 2 and see if maybe the ballast just doesn't have the power to fire all the bulbs at once. Lastly you can use a multi meter to try and see if the ballast is shutting off or if the ballast is still running but something else is going on.

You still may have a bulb out I have had them bad from the start.Check to see if all of them flash.Also check for a darker edge on the ends of the bulbs.If you have a way check one bulb at a time. Or if you have a 4th bulb use that one to switch out with the others to determine if ones bad.

Guest thefishman65

Are you srue they are wired right? Each configuration needs different wiring IIRC. Also when I had mine configured as 4 if one was bad they all went out (I think because the ballast did not recognize the configuration). If one works move those 3 bulbs to another fixture. If if light bad bulbs if they don't there is a wiring problem - maybe just a loose connection. If in doubt move the bulbs back to the one that works.

"When I plug the power cord the lamps lid on for 1 sec then off."

Hey Huy,

Been a while, hope all is well!

1. Do you have a seperate power cord for each one or are you running all 3 on one power cord?

2. Check the fuses on the ballasts that are not lighting up they might need to be replaced.

You still may have a bulb out I have had them bad from the start.Check to see if all of them flash.Also check for a darker edge on the ends of the bulbs.If you have a way check one bulb at a time. Or if you have a 4th bulb use that one to switch out with the others to determine if ones bad.

I am sure they are all brand new. I bought them brand new from retailer.

Are you srue they are wired right? Each configuration needs different wiring IIRC. Also when I had mine configured as 4 if one was bad they all went out (I think because the ballast did not recognize the configuration). If one works move those 3 bulbs to another fixture. If if light bad bulbs if they don't there is a wiring problem - maybe just a loose connection. If in doubt move the bulbs back to the one that works.

I don't know if I had the wiring right. But there is one ballast work just fine and the other 3 ballasts don't. So what's that mean?

"When I plug the power cord the lamps lid on for 1 sec then off."

Hey Huy,

Been a while, hope all is well!

1. Do you have a seperate power cord for each one or are you running all 3 on one power cord?

2. Check the fuses on the ballasts that are not lighting up they might need to be replaced.

Hey Khalid,

Everything is fine. It's just this IC ballast thing that pisses me off. I am upgrading to 200g DD marineland tank. That's why I am doing the new lighting. How do you know if the fuses need to be replace? I run one power cord for 3 bulbs. The ballasts I bought came with the wiring harness a single power cord wired to the wiring harness.

Huy

Edited by Dell2go

Also check the connection between the wiring harness and where it plugs into the ballast. If its loose or dirty, they will cut off.

I don't know if I had the wiring right. But there is one ballast work just fine and the other 3 ballasts don't. So what's that mean?

In case you haven't already checked, it's on page 2:

diagrams

No idea why only one would work.

If they turn on for a sec and then off, that means there is a bad connection. My guess is the two that don't light up are connected to each other. If not then you really need to make sure you followed the wiring diagram correctly.

I think everyone is confused about my original post. So, let I try to be detail. I am upgrading to a bigger tank. So, I plan to run 6 T5 lamps using 2 x 660 IC ballasts. Each ballast will run 3 lamps. I finished wiring the 3 lamps but I have not done so for the other 3 lamps yet. So, I figured I tested first to see if the wiring was correct and yes it did. Because the light went on fine. So, I want to see if the other ballasts (3) good or bad. I unplugged the wire harness and plugged into the other ballasts (3). This time the light went on for a sec then it's off. So I use back and tested the first ballast the light went on fine again. So, my question is what is going on here? What should I do? Are there any different between the old model and new model?

Guest thefishman65

Sounds like the harness is not making good contact on 3 of 4 ballats.

hey Huy,

Plug the wiring harness back into the ballast that isn't working again and see if it turns on at all again. If it doesn't turn on at all then it blew the fuse when you started it the first time. If that is the case there should be a round gray little thing on one of the ends of the ballast that has a slot on it for a crew driver to go in and turn it till the fuse comes out. You can get the replacement fuse from home depot. If the light comes on for a second again then it's something wrong with the connection on the ballast. Hopefully it is easy fix.

In case you haven't already checked, it's on page 2:

diagrams

No idea why only one would work.

Ok according to the IC diagram, I am missing a wire that connect the two bulbs that use the brown wire. Is there a wire that connect those 2 bulbs. If so, what color it should be. Because I looked at my wiring the only wire that I did not use is the purple wires. And I don't have the wire that connect the two bulbs that uses the brown wire.

Thank,

Huy

Edited by Dell2go

Man, I gave up. I went and wired the other 3 lamps that I haven't done so. The same old thing happened. May be someone close by can swing over and take a look.

Ok according to the IC diagram, I am missing a wire that connect the two bulbs that use the brown wire. Is there a wire that connect those 2 bulbs. If so, what color it should be. Because I looked at my wiring the only wire that I did not use is the purple wires. And I don't have the wire that connect the two bulbs that uses the brown wire.

Thank,

Huy

Hey huy,

That little piece of wire doesn't come with the ballast. You have to cut a piece of wire your self and connect the two bulbs together that are using the brown wire.

Guest thefishman65

If all else fails wire one with 4 bulbs and one with 2.

Where in falls church are you?