Sand

Guest tburrs

Guest tburrs

I'm about to buy sand for a new 120 gallon tank. I could spend the money for "live sand", save a little money and just buy regular sand from the LFS, and then I've heard of people just buying play sand at home depot. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm about to buy sand for a new 120 gallon tank.  I could spend the money for "live sand", save a little money and just buy regular sand from the LFS, and then I've heard of people just buying play sand at home depot.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

You can often bum live sand off members for free when they're breaking down their tank. That's a good bet but requires patience. There are dry sands from hardware stores, but you have to be VERY careful about what you buy. Otherwise, there's the CaribSea aragamax stuff that's also a good candidate, but fairly expensive for bags.

My suggestion would be to get 2-3 bags of yardright or southdown from southern states. Then you can get a few scoops of live sand (I have plenty you can have) and seed the new sand you have in the tank.

Guest greenthumb
I'm about to buy sand for a new 120 gallon tank.  I could spend the money for "live sand", save a little money and just buy regular sand from the LFS, and then I've heard of people just buying play sand at home depot.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

33407[/snapback]

I will have an empty tank on Sunday. I have the good stuff. All live sand that is a year old. I am heading to Steve's on Sunday you can meet me there and get up to 40 lbs or so cheap. $5 for the lot. It is a mix of the fine caribsea and med grain which is now mixed with a few many snail shells and hermit shells. BTW - would it matter if you got a few hermits with it??????? Blue & orange leg little guys. and maybe a few polyps of dragons eyes, metallic pink and metallic lime zoo's. Not many though, just a few. Also, maybe some pink daisy polyps. I saw some floating when I transfered the LR today.

Michelle