Camera advice?

I'm looking to buy a new camera and thought I'd ask for any advice here.

I have been quite satisfied with my cheapo sony cyber-shot 14-ishMP 4x optical zoom for nature photography.

I'd like to get something with much more optical zoom capability (minimum 24x, prefer more). I also need good macro capability.

I don't think I want to mess around with a camera with removable lenses (DSLR).

I figure this means the camera is going to be big, which defeats the main thing I like about my small cyber-shot.

Just as an example, I was looking at this camera, which has 35x optical zoom and 14MP...can anyone recommend something similar? Better? Is this a good camera?

LINK: Possibility

thanks

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

My wife has a friend that uses that camera and she gets lots of really nice photos with it. No personal experience other than seeing lots of the nice pictures :)

Plus I'm a huge fan of Canon cameras in general so I don't think you can go wrong there either.

Edited by CaptainRon

Guest thefishman65

I would try it out. With a zoom of 840mm you are going to need a really good image stabilizer. I would go to the store and zoom in on the furthest object you can see. take the picture and then zoom in on the picture.

I would also try this with the macro mode.

Also check the shutter delay. That is one feature I really like on my DSLR. It takes the picture when I press the button (not 3 seconds later).

Photography is another hobby of mine, so take this for what its worth - I don't know how one lens can offer 35x zoom and macro and be particularly good at either. It is probably average at everything. I'm a big Canon fan and have more of their stuff than I care to admit. The S95 is a great point and shoot and I suspect that is also a nice camera. But, if you want a good camera that offers everything you are looking for in one package, perhaps an SLR with a macro lens and a nice telephoto is worth considering.