Show me yours?

bprinehart

Hey guys... I've got a couple ideas I'm tossing around, and I would like to see if anyone else has done something similar, and if you have, would you mind linking to / sharing pics of your setup? I'm considering doing a Clown / BTA biotope or possibly a Cardinal (PJ or Bangai)setup, something I was inspired by watching a Science Channel film on Raja Ampat, or a Carribean / Gulf of Mexico biotope. Anyone have anything along these lines they'd like to share?

Thanks,

Brian

The member gallery has tons of biotopes. All are tanks are biotopes; picos, nanos, mixed, all fish, etc. We have some folks who have anemone and clowns or just seahorses and softies. Take a look in the gallery. or in the dedicated tank forum.

The member gallery has tons of biotopes. All are tanks are biotopes; picos, nanos, mixed, all fish, etc. We have some folks who have anemone and clowns or just seahorses and softies. Take a look in the gallery. or in the dedicated tank forum.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. In a sense I suppose you are correct. I guess I'm looking for more of a species specific approach. I've heard of people doing tank for one particular type of seahorse, with one particular type of gorgonian. That type of biotope, rather than in the general sense. Looking through the gallery is a good idea.

Dave Sandstrom had a Caribbean tank that he took down awhile ago and Daniel Hawkins had a coldwater tank that I think he also took down. As far as other species tanks, I had a mantis tank before. Beyond that, I think that you'll find that very few people actually keep dedicated biotopes as most can't resist the urge to add more to their tank!

As far as vendors, I'm aware of Marine Scene having a Caribbean tank, too, but not sure if anyone else runs a dedicated biotope.

I've got a 40 gallon breeder I'm converting into a mangrove lagoon to add to my system. I'm in the middle of designing it now - I'm going to use dead live rock to create a rough horse shoe shape in the middle with about 2 inches of sand on the bottom, plus a 9 inch change in elevation, and another bank of sand, held in by the rock. My thought is to use two drains of different heights and two pumps flowing water in from a master sump. The idea is that the first pump fills the first drain. The second pump on a timer surges water in overflowing the first drain's capacity and slowly filling the tank to the 2nd drain level - ideally a little bit above the top sand line. After a flood period, the second pump kicks off and and the water level falls to normal, simulating a tidal surge. I'm going to plant it with red mangroves and was looking at fiddler crabs and other shore line type critters as possible residents. I was considering adding some fish. I saw the idea for this set up in an older aquarium design book - they showed it with mud skippers - but because of the skipping, not ideal for an open top. Also, I'm worried about marooned fish at flood tide - so I was going to try mollies. Interesting, yet not expensive enough that I'm going to cry if they decide to try sunbathing on the beach.

I've been scouring the web for ideas on compatible plants and animals that will be content with a 1.025 sg tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Sandstrom had a Caribbean tank that he took down awhile ago

Didn't quite take it down, but downsized, and then moved to the new 60 cube. The non-fish livestock are still Caribbean, with corals (Cladocora, Phyllangia and Oculina), hitchhikers and Sargassum that came in the the TBS live rock, plus some added Caribbean gorgonians and Ricordea from various sources. I did add one non-Caribbean Montastrea, because it's almost impossible to get the real thing and it is so common in the Caribbean. As far as fish, I have a quartet of African flameback angels, which are similar to the Brazilian form, but I have to admit it is no longer a true biotope. There are a few photos in the thread linked in my signature, and I need to shoot some more now that it has settled in.