Want to add skimmer cup drain

steveoutlaw

I'm looking to add a drain to my skimmer cup so I can use my Avast Davy Jones Locker (shameless plug). I've seen a bunch of different ways to do this, from using a plastic barb fitting to actually putting a small ball valve on. I'd like to het some input from those who have done it on what works and what to avoid.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks all. It's an H&S skimmer so the plastic is pretty thick......they build their skimmers like a freakin tank. Other than the vegetable oil, anything I should be wary of when tapping the hole?

Thanks all. It's an H&S skimmer so the plastic is pretty thick......they build their skimmers like a freakin tank. Other than the vegetable oil, anything I should be wary of when tapping the hole?

If you're using a drill then don't "push" let the tap cut/thread it's way in (& back out) = slower is better. Trickiest part (either by hand or drill) is to make certain the start is true/square - after that it's easy peezy.

Ok, I have one of the plastic barb elbows with 1/2" FIP threads. I can't find a tap big enough at HD or Lowes. So, if I were to drill the hole like I was going to tap it, cut the threads off the fitting and silicone it in, that should work for now until I can find a tap big enough........right??

Ok, I can't find a 1/2" FPT tap bid anywhere local. Anyone know if HD or Lowes carries a 1/2" nylon nut that I can secure the barb fitting with?

Harbor Freight has a pipe tap set that includes the 1/2" for a reasonable price. You won't find a nut, but you may be able to find a pvc fitting that has 1/2 female threads that you could use as a nut.

Harbor Freight has a pipe tap set that includes the 1/2" for a reasonable price. You won't find a nut, but you may be able to find a pvc fitting that has 1/2 female threads that you could use as a nut.

Good idea Banky, I didn't even think of that. Thanks.

FPT taps aren't the easiest to find - if HF doesn't have one I can check.

I know I have a couple.......at the moment I'm thinking I have a 1/4". Though I must have had a 1/2" for the CA & kalk reactors I built??

If you haven't gotten it done by now let me know, I'll see what I have.

Edited by ErikS