How to catch an engineer goby

steveoutlaw

Guest ScubaTodd
Does anybody know a way with out taking all the rock out of my tank???

32589[/snapback]

I've never had much luck with fish traps, but the following method has worked for me several times: Get a large net, like 4-5" across with a longer handle. Dig the top edge of the net part into the sand a little bit and leave the net in your tank upside down for 2-3 days. Make sure the net is sort of open, making like a pocket, you may have to adjust a powerhead temporarily. Let the fish get used to it. Then I just removed the net, put a bunch of food in the pocket, and played the waiting game. Its never taken more than an hour. Just make sure you pull straight up and it will trap the fish immediately, don't try to scoop. Also don't be over eager, if you miss and pull when they arent more than 50% in there they probably wont be coming back to quick.

Does anybody know a way with out taking all the rock out of my tank???

Dunno about a E goby, but I got a sunrise pseudochromis (flavivertex) out of my tank with a fish trap I have downstairs. I could loan it to you when I make it down to woodbridge (looking like tomorrow's a no-go). Though I did have to modify my trap a bit. I mounted some heavy shells at the top of the drop "trap" plate and held the plate aloft from across the room. Had to stay very still. Eventually (20 mins?) the fish swam in and the plate dropped down. I had tried without weighting the plate, but it was useless. The plate kept catching, falling slowly, etc. I needed something more "phloompy."