50,000K Bulb

Guest Keyoke

Guest Keyoke

Can anyone tell me what use a 50,000K MH bulb would be? Seems.. excessive. Just curious.

the only thing i can see it used for is deep water specimens. that would be kinda close to ultra violet. it could be used to enhance colors in plants, but im not so sure about it. i know they do something with UVB to make it produce certain colors in tropical plants.

Can anyone tell me what use a 50,000K MH bulb would be? Seems.. excessive. Just curious.

32244[/snapback]

The Iwasaki 50K bulb is close in color to a 20K bulb or a Radium. Testing them side by side in 150 arrangements, the 50K appears a bit brighter then a UHI/HIT/BLV 20K.

fwiw: most available spectral analyzers don't do very well me above the 15K wavelengths so the numbers are almost meaning less.

fwiw2: Iwasaki now has a 20K bulb, but it has proven difficult to get in the US. Likely because of OEM arrangements.

Hope that helps.

Also FWIW, I understand that ole mother natures sun generates over 100,000K, so seems to be getting closer to old natur-AL!

Good thing is that you can hook your tank up near the electric meter and with the meter spinning around so fast, you can keep the tank cool at the same time!

:P

Guest ScubaTodd

Its pretty much iwasaki's version of a 14k bulb. Its really a nice bulb, but ignorantly marketed because most peope immediately assume that it is way too blue. It has great par readings and is a crisp white with a hint of blue. I was recently deciding between it and a phoenix 14k for my tank, went with the phoenix because it had a little more blue and only slightly less par. Heres the comparison if you're into that stuff.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/spe...0&Submit=Submit

ScubaTodd,

Are you into the lighting info? I mean do you understand the techie stuff on PARS, Lumens, etc?

PM if you or anyone does, I have a spec sheet on some demo bulbs that I would love some feed back on?

Howard

Guest ScubaTodd
ScubaTodd,

Are you into the lighting info? I mean do you understand the techie stuff on PARS, Lumens, etc?

PM if you or anyone does, I have a spec sheet on some demo bulbs that I would love some feed back on?

Howard

32275[/snapback]

I know a little bit about PAR and PPFD and wavelength charts etc from researching my recent bulb selection and would be happy to try and help if I can. However, you might try the lighting forum on RC, there are some real light bulb fanatics over there.