moving soon, what is the best way to keep corals

El Camaron

Hey guys and girls, i may be moving soon and i was wondering what would people sugest is the best option, the tank is going to my inlaws house for a few months till we find a place so i was thinking of how i should take care of this since i will have to move it in a week or two at the most/

1) i will be draining 95% of the tank and taking out most rocks, will a little sand dust crash the tank if i set it back up with in a half hour?

2) should i just set up a small 20 gallon and move corals and fish and house them there till the second move?

3) should i try and sell some of my high end chalices before?

4) should i try and see if anyone could hold my corals in the mean time?

thanks for all your help

The last time I moved, I kept the same tank. Drained out almost all of the water, saved some for when I set it up, and had new water ready at the new place. I moved everything from woodbridge to fairfax within a 4-5 hour span and had no loses. Some corals touched and did some damage, but that was my fault for packing them together like that. I am interested to see others thoughts and what you decide, as I have a move coming up in a few weeks and actually plan to change tanks this time.

Regardless, good luck with you move..!!

Unless you REALLY trust someone I would not have corals held. I would transport the LPS, SPS, and softies in seperate containers so there is no chemical warfare. I would have all new water mixed at the new location, or at least 50% new water. Make more than you need. It always seems to disapear, especially when you shake the rocks off, and foul up the water...

Consider removing the sand bed, since you are going to move again in a couple months. It is much easier to move a tank with no sand. Really up to you.

I moved a 29gal tank about 6 months back, and had no losses.

Goodluck!

i have held corals for members several times. if you can find someone with the room have them hold some of them.

when moving the tank do not disturb the sand bed at all. move the tank with the sand in it. do a 50% water change. add everything back and leave the light off for the day. Its not that hard, just time consuming.

dont sell as you wont get what you paid for them. :)

Get at least one person to help, even if they don't know anything about your tank. You will be able to use all the extra hands you can get. 3 people in total would be ideal. Makes the process MUCH faster.

I moved my tank with a friend, but a third person would have been great.

thanks Guys, you have confirmed what i was originally thinking, especially since it is a small tank and once drained is not that heavy. I do plan on having my brother help me carry some things like the tank, stand and maybe some water. One good thing about this move is that it is very close, so i would say within a one to two hours everything should be set up again.

Ive got you beat, im moving 2 buildings over.. Still a giant PITA... I think you will be fine, just take your time.

As for holding the corals, its really a crapshoot. If you can find someone with a really good established large system (like Rocko has) its not a bad idea, otherwise I would just keep it with you.. Definitely dont sell bc Bob is right, you wont get close to what you paid, and then you will be buying it again for more..

• 2 weeks later...

move went way better than i expected, i basically bought 4 5 gallon buckets with lids amd one teg gallon tank, i used the ten gallon tank for housing most of the frags, placed stratigivally so they dont sting each other, put some of the loose rocks and some bigger comolines in the buckets and left about 3 gallons of water, some rock and sand in the tank for the move as i was not able to catch a single fish. I have a decent in home picknick table that has a removevale top which is very tick wood so i used that to transfer the tank, i slid the tank on to it and was able to have a better grip after and then did the same for putting it back at the new place, i still have not done a water change but plant to later today, moving has been a pain in the butt, but at least the tank is done a for a few months :clap: