A Houdini Blue Neo Goby

Donmarco

Last year I added thee blue neon gobies to my 125G reef tank. Well, one died fairly straight away, but the other two swam happily for months, until about three months ago when one of them disappeared. When it didn't reemerge, I presumed it had died and was eaten by one of the crabs. Imagine my surprise last week when I had a plumbing problem in the sump and while I was working on it I caught a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye. Low and behold, somehow that little neon goby had gotten through the overflow, down one of the pipes and either escaped the sock filter or made it through my refugium. Now it's living and swimming happily among all the plumbing, protein skimmer and other stuff in my sump. I've tried to lure it into a net, but it won't come close and I haven't any way to capture it. Even if I turn everything off and break down the sump, there are still a number of compartments and it could easily elude me. I haven't any idea how it survived so long without food (it must have found something to eat, somewhere) nor do I know how long it will live. Has anyone ever experienced this sort of thing? Any ideas what I might do?

Mark

I would get some buckets and try to pump as much of the water out of your sump to make it easier to catch him.

I heard of lots of members that have found fish in their sumps or overflows. Just goes to show you that fish dont really need alot of food to eat in order to survive.

I had one that went all the way from the display, through the skimmer, into one sump, and then into the next. For this one I'd give it a perch that it likes with a little hole to hide in and then when it hides you can pull the whole thing out.