iPad aquarist apps?

squiddly

Do you use any apps for your record keeping, controllers, etc.? I bought aquaplanner pro for the ipad and wish that I could do more with it, such as upload photos with notes, have a stock list, possibly calculate bio load based on what you have in the tank, and change dates on the notes so you can, for example, make notes on critters you may have installed the week before you bought the program. It would also be great to be able to record water chemistry parameters over time and graph them. This doesn't do any of those things, but it does allow you to keep notes in one place, and set up notifications for basic reef-keeping activities. It keeps your tank notifications from clogging up your calendar.

However, I'd like an information management program for my tank that has a lot more information keeping capability than this one has. Has anyone found one? Thanks!

I am developing an app for iOS. I am still designing the main core of the application so let me know what you are looking for.

I am developing an app for iOS. I am still designing the main core of the application so let me know what you are looking for.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'd love to see an app that can store water parameter, dosing/supplement data and the ability to graph it all out over time.

I would be REALLY happy to help beta test. In another life I was VP of engineering for a software development company. Here's what I would like to see in an app:

Of course the regular water parameters that could be entered and graphed, but that's not everything I'd like. I would like to be able to upload various photos of the tank and its inhabitants that could be tagged with dates so one could quickly see the growth or decline of various creatures, possibly in conjunction with water parameters over time. I'd also like to see the ability to have notifications separate from your calendar the way that AquaPlanner has. The things I like about Aquaplanner are the ability to put in multiple tanks and multiple alerts, but the notes portion is very rudimentary. You can't upload photos, you can't add notes with dates prior to today's date, and you can't add water parameters in a coherent manner or graph them.

So, if I had every little thing I'd ever want, it would be an automatic uploading of the parameters on an ACIII or Apex into some useful graphs, addition of water parameters you can't get from the controllers, ability to input and track various fish, corals, etc., with possible bio load calculations based on tank size, and perhaps even suggestions like "with this bio load, you need to do 20% water changes every 7 days to maintain peak efficiency" or whatever. I'd also add ease of emailing any pieces of the data or posting to sites like WAMAS when you need help.

That's my dream app. I wish it would do water changes for me :-)

That sounds great, maybe for Droid too? Or would it be too much for the phone to handle? I am no programer, but I believe every market you can open lets you get more profit. Besides I don't have an iPad :tongue: I do have a Droid Charge.

I have taken down some notes from your feedback guys thanks, and I don't know nothing about Droids. I am an Apple guy! lol!

The reason I am developing an app for reef keeping is exactly for all these reasons. I would like to keep track of my water parameters, water changes, dosing etc. Also, I am integrating a camera feature in order to take pics of livestock, corals etc. to keep track of your tanks progress.

BTW, if anyone is interested to give me a hand, please do not hesitate to PM me.

:sad:

Alright, alright! Is there a development platform for the Droids? I might give it a try... (or you can always convert to Apple-ism!, lol!!) wink.gif

(edited)

• 5 months later...

I'm the developer of aquaPlanner and since your message it has been updated a couple times. Mainly it now has both inhabitants and equipment with photo support and unlike future promises for apps that don't exist mine is readily available and constantly updated. Let me know how you like the updates, more to come.

Do you use any apps for your record keeping, controllers, etc.? I bought aquaplanner pro for the ipad and wish that I could do more with it, such as upload photos with notes, have a stock list, possibly calculate bio load based on what you have in the tank, and change dates on the notes so you can, for example, make notes on critters you may have installed the week before you bought the program. It would also be great to be able to record water chemistry parameters over time and graph them. This doesn't do any of those things, but it does allow you to keep notes in one place, and set up notifications for basic reef-keeping activities. It keeps your tank notifications from clogging up your calendar.

However, I'd like an information management program for my tank that has a lot more information keeping capability than this one has. Has anyone found one? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I can't justify it right now. I have many projects in the works, and having to learn a new system would take time from all of them. Not to mention getting the app to work on the hundreds of different devices. I can say I won't be doing android development till they figure that out, and have better control over the rampant app pirating.

I understand, especially from your point of view. It's harsh. As a dev just getting to be heard, and maybe making some money must be a pain. If I still had my itouch I would check it out, but unfortunately I don't. I went droid because of the hardware on the Charge. Which matches the iphone 4S. But came out months before. A well as the speed of the connection. So unfortunately I knew the app market would be a bit smaller.