Pipefish

squiddly

I'm musing about putting one in my 24. Is there anything I should know about the pros and cons? I'm just starting my research at this point and would love to hear stories from successful or unsuccessful attempts at keeping these cool critters.

What else is in your tank?

What else is in your tank?

2 clowns, scooter blennie, blue spot jawfish (new one), BTA, some zoanthids and polyps. I have a super filtration system, way overkill. Added a hot magnum canister to the aquapod's sponge filtration. Frequent water changes.

I have had 3 different pipes in pairs and none lasted more than a year (some less than 6 months). I had most of them eating frozen mysid as well. I would not expect them to live too long.

I have had 3 different pipes in pairs and none lasted more than a year (some less than 6 months). I had most of them eating frozen mysid as well. I would not expect them to live too long.

Doesn't sound like it's worth it...

Doesn't sound like it's worth it...

In terms of feeding needs/style, pipefish are very similar to seahorses. You could be successful in a dedicated tank, but even assuming they'll take prepared foods they'd be out-competed by your other fish and slowly starve.

In terms of feeding needs/style, pipefish are very similar to seahorses. You could be successful in a dedicated tank, but even assuming they'll take prepared foods they'd be out-competed by your other fish and slowly starve.

Ah, if only it could be easier.

I have kept pipefish before... Like seahorses they are susceptible to lots of pathogens found in our tanks and are best kept 1) from a reputable captive bred and raised dealer that hasn't been exposed to other fish (like lfs water), 2) in a species only tank and 3) at a slightly subdued temperature (like <74F).

I only know of one commercial breeder who does pipes in the US (oceanrider), there may be smaller private breeders out there as well, though.

I think Roni has some banded pipes in his reef, you could ask him how long he has had them.

Check out this link from Seahorse Sanctuary, a breeder in Australia: http://seahorsesanctuary.com.au/care-information/pipefish-care/. They have bred them and suggest that they can live upwards of 3 years with proper care. They also state that they should be kept in 24-30 C water, which is the equivalent of about 75-86 F, much different than what we are used to doing with Hippocampus genus that we typically keep. Liveaquaria also does not list any lowered water temperature requirements as is typically recommended for seahorses but recommends 72-78 degrees, the typical tropical guideline for most fish (http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=banded%20pipefish). Seems like if you're going to try it, the dragon faced pipe may be a better choice.

Hi Dave! Long time, no see, I hope all is well.

From a wild source (most of them), getting them to eat is just one hurdle to overcome, usually what you find locally (and online) is wild caught which have a very high incidence of parasite and disease so that needs to be dealt with as well. Initially with a deworming / medicated QT, and then long term with slightly subdued temperature. The slightly subdued temperature is to slow pathogen metabolism enough such that you have enough time to first notice the problem and then do something about it before they succumb to it (also in our closed systems, often the slightly subdued temperature allows them enough time to battle and beat the problem themselves us needed to interfere).

Hi Dave! Long time, no see, I hope all is well.

From a wild source (most of them), getting them to eat is just one hurdle to overcome, usually what you find locally (and online) is wild caught which have a very high incidence of parasite and disease so that needs to be dealt with as well. Initially with a deworming / medicated QT, and then long term with slightly subdued temperature. The slightly subdued temperature is to slow pathogen metabolism enough such that you have enough time to first notice the problem and then do something about it before they succumb to it (also in our closed systems, often the slightly subdued temperature allows them enough time to battle and beat the problem themselves us needed to interfere).

I had tried seahorses (as you can see from the pic) but I made bad choices. I did have a species specific tank, the temp was low just for them, I bought what I thought were aquacultured Kudas before I found out HOW they aquaculture the Kudas, and despite all of the help I got from boards, a vet that prescribed meds, constantly running to Superpets to buy live brine because they just wouldn't wean, etc., I lost them all. It was heartbreaking. I was hoping pipes would be easier but given all of this and the fact that I have a full time job now I can't see myself being able to provide the time and effort needed to do right by them.

Perhaps later, when I have a local mentor who can be a second set of eyes to help me catch things I might miss. As I learned, it's not just the know how, the stock of meds, the pristine conditions, etc., but if you haven't SEEN a given problem before, you're much more likely to either miss it or misdiagnose it and provide the wrong treatment. So much easier when you can bounce it off of someone else.

I'll keep following threads about pipes and horses to keep learning so when the time comes I'll be able to do it right.