Goniopora problem

squiddly

Hi guys. I bought an ORA goniopora this week and it seems to have having some issues. It is my first goniopora, so I am in need of adult supervision. Part of the dome he is on seems to be dying out. There are small white worm like critters (that I think just may be worms, go figure) and not all of the polyps are coming out. I have pictures, but I'm having a rough time trying to attach more than one file (I keep getting errors in the gallery section). I don't have any dip (don't know what kind to get or use) and am open to any and all suggestions.

post-1002-130964342196_thumb.jpg

I'm currently working with a pink goniopora that is not coming out at all and have done a bit of research on them.

Apparently the reddish variety are a little more touchy than the green/yellow and some goni don't like to be moved ever and may close up for a simple stress issue. Mine is responding very well to nutramar ova feedings but hasn't come out yet. Some of the heads/mouths are starting to puff out a bit and looks like they are regaining better color however, so I am very hopeful after my research.

I've also read that it may take weeks to recover for some of these guys and the best thing to do is to spot feed shrimp roe to get the best response. It looks like some of your polyps are still out so I think it should come back just fine (crosses fingers). Also the part that is dying out will either come back if there is still color, or as it regains it's health and settles in will grow back over it's loss.

I wouldn't worry about dipping and I personally think it would stress it more. The worms shouldn't be a problem either.

Just feed it and love it and name it George... Hopefully it recovers soon and I wish you luck.

Keep us updated!

Marisa

I'm currently working with a pink goniopora that is not coming out at all and have done a bit of research on them.

Apparently the reddish variety are a little more touchy than the green/yellow and some goni don't like to be moved ever and may close up for a simple stress issue. Mine is responding very well to nutramar ova feedings but hasn't come out yet. Some of the heads/mouths are starting to puff out a bit and looks like they are regaining better color however, so I am very hopeful after my research.

I've also read that it may take weeks to recover for some of these guys and the best thing to do is to spot feed shrimp roe to get the best response. It looks like some of your polyps are still out so I think it should come back just fine (crosses fingers). Also the part that is dying out will either come back if there is still color, or as it regains it's health and settles in will grow back over it's loss.

I wouldn't worry about dipping and I personally think it would stress it more. The worms shouldn't be a problem either.

Just feed it and love it and name it George... Hopefully it recovers soon and I wish you luck.

Keep us updated!

Marisa

HAHAHA! Love it and name it George. Nice to see someone who likes Looney Tunes classics :-)

i have actually found that the red variations have better survivability when compared to their green friends.

could be as simple as irritaion, but just remember they rely on water movement to cirulate planktonic foods and to export tyhe waste they produce....in an aquapod, w/o circulation, it could be a problem.

But then again there is the acclimation, if it was added less than 4-5days ago it could still be adjusting.

i have actually found that the red variations have better survivability when compared to their green friends.

could be as simple as irritaion, but just remember they rely on water movement to cirulate planktonic foods and to export tyhe waste they produce....in an aquapod, w/o circulation, it could be a problem.

But then again there is the acclimation, if it was added less than 4-5days ago it could still be adjusting.

Thanks, Sean. There's actually quite good circulation in the tank since we replaced the pump and made a few other modifications. I should likely put in some more pods. You guys having normal hours tomorrow?

12-5

i dont have packaged pods, but my invert system is CRAWLING with amphipods. when you come in i'll show you their babies!