Managing Ich

amos

I've waited ich out before but this time around one of my tangs seems to have a much worse case. He's got white strings hanging off him and stays in front of the powerhead- though he's still eating. I'm of the "keep them stress free" school of thought, but this guys been with me for 6 years and my wife is getting worried. After doing alot of reading, I'd like to hear others' experiences on treating ich. Hyposalinity? Copper? Do I need to remove all the fish and leave the tank fish-free for 6 weeks to break the cycle? But isn't there always Ich in the tank?

Thanks,

Jon

White strings sounds like something different to me. Maybe pics would help. But all ich outbreaks I have seen in our tanks have went away fairly quickly. I know there is that all natural reef safe stuff but I am not sure how well it works.

I know there is that all natural reef safe stuff but I am not sure how well it works.

It doesn't!!

Some great information and links on pretty much your question here.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/41558-ichy-battle/

thanks for the link, Chad! Some good information here. I'm still interested in actual experiences.

White strings sounds like something different to me. Maybe pics would help. But all ich outbreaks I have seen in our tanks have went away fairly quickly. I know there is that all natural reef safe stuff but I am not sure how well it works.

I'm thinking some sort of parasite as the result of the ich. I've got a cleaner shrimp at work. Still haven't decided on a quarantine tank... just keeping an eye on things for now.

Jon