130 GALLON STAND NEEDED EMIDIATLY

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

i just got new that im going to get a 130 gallon tank for free. i need a stand for it very soon. i cant aford a new one just yet, and cant wait forever to have enough money. so if anybody has a used 130 gallon stand for very cheap or even free, i'd like to hear from you emediatly!!!!

watch out- free tanks are a hook- to a lot of expenses. The cheapest stand can be made with bolts and 2x4s-- but these are just the beginning of the expense with this freebe

Alex,

What is the footprint of the new tank?

#1 I have a 4' stand, see post.

ALEX, I just noticed that your in PA! Check out the local paper for stands there. The time and gas money to come down here would make it a ton easier to just DIY!

#2 Wait for the best imperfect stand to fit your needs.

I say this with jest!

#3 RECOMMENED

Build one out of 2x4's, plywood, Wood Screws and 1/4 facial boards.

Will cost you about a $100. and custom made for your needs.

NOT That Hard, just will take a little time.

See my post: Stand/Canopy Construction, My idea's and YOURS???

under DIY.

Howard

Guest alex wlazlak

my mom lives in v.a. near potomic mall and i visit everyother weekend..but the tank is one of the 4 footers and i could make a stand, but i want a profesional one..call me picky but id like one to look nice, not all crapy, knowing me it'd be lopsided, and that'd really %$#* me off. but can you get a picture of your stand and let me check it out?!? id be interested in getting it..how much do you want, p.m. me, thanks.

Guest Sgt Fury

I gotta go with Howard, 6- 4x4s, sheet of cabinet grade plywood, some carriage bolts and wood screws and you got it. Find a friend to help you if you not sure of your abilities. Just my two cents.

Guest alex wlazlak

id love to build one.but like all together a 130 will weigh like 1000 punds...how much weight can 4x4's hold?or could i use some 4x4's and 2x4's???what do you guys think?

All together a 130 (a 130g tank???) would be around 1400-1500 pounds when you consider rocks, sand....

A 1*1 post could hold 750 pounds, a 2*2 could hold 3000 and a 4*4 could hold 6 tons. Note, what they sell as a "Four by Four" isn't really 4 inches by four inches, lumber is named for it's rough cut size, then is dried, and smothed making it a bit smaller, but you get the point. The critical thing in making a stand is building very strong joints. A tank is just a glass box, it will not stand for flexing and shifting, and your folks will not stand for 130 gallons of fishy water on the floor.

It seems like you are in a great rush, which is my 1st concern. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank. Building a stand is not hard, I agree with the others. I built one for my 150, not really having a clue when I started and ended up with a pretty nice piece, but it took me months.

check to see if howard still has the 4 foot stand he is trying to get rid of in the for sale section- It would be cheaper than buying wood even.

Stand sold sorry, Actually made a great deal for a lady for her school kids. Gave her a bunch of stuff from my FW tanks etc. She's happy and I got more room for SW Stuff!

Alex,

Build it with 2x4 Fir Plywood. 4x4 will work, but with the multiple board 2x4's will allow you to tie each support into another for additional support.

Howard

Guest alex wlazlak

darn i really wanted that stand..but i guess i will have to make one.are the 48" Outer Orbit 2x150W HQI-MH w/Actinic or the 48" Aqualight Pro, you can find them both on www.thatfishplace.com.and can anyone recomend a good filter?

• 2 weeks later...