Cracked Center Brace on 55

JerryJ

Is the center brace on a 55 gallon tank essential to the tank's structural integrity? Mine is cracked...not all the way through, but the plastic at the rim of the tank is separating and pulling away from the brace. Does this mean the tank's front face is in danger of rupturing? Luckily the tank's not in use right now...I'm just setting it up again. Does this mean I've now got a 55-gallon terrarium on my hands?

(edited)

You can fix the brace, with it being empty it should be very simple. Basicly what you need to do it attach a new piece of acrylic to the broken brace. This does depend on where its broken, if broken near the edge you may not be able to fix it this way. Cut the new piece of acrylic ( 1/4 inch) to size, then drill holes at each end of the new brace. Trim out the old broken brace and drill matching holes to the placement of the new brace. Attach with nylon bolts and screws.

Some people I have seen do this to a perfectly intact tank, they didnt like the shadow that the center brace was casting into the tank. The clear piece of acrylic lets the light pass through.

Also, you can buy replacement braces, but it requires you to remove the entire piece of trim. Its alot of work and most of the people that have done it will tell you they should have just bought a new tank :biggrin:

Edited by FearTheTerps

It is a structural piece. I have gotten this information directly from at least one manufacturer.

You should either fix or replace it or buy a new tank. For me, I'd just buy one at Petco's $1/gallon sale, but to each their own.