Growing Calerpa

Grav

Okay, just as I'm getting ready to pick up my new Tang, it looks like my Calerpa is not doing well. Cheato is growing like mad, but in 3 places (in tank, and 2 different fuges) my calerpa is turning into a slimey gooie mess.

Everything else looks great, including the cheato sitting right next to it.

This seems crazy to me, anyone have any ideas?

Phil

Guest clownfish4

I'd advise against the calurpa. If it goes sexual you'll have a real mess on your hands. You can feed your tangs nori.

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.

Aware of the downside to calerpa getting all sexy on me, I have that effect everywhere I go.

Was planning to keep a small amt of calerpa as a treat and especally while getting new fish to eat. Will keep the bulk of my fuge (20+gal) cheato.

Phil,

Sounds like the calurpa is going asexual- in the events I have wacthed this occur- It releases its nutrients back into the water stream- with the massive skimmer you have I would not worry about it too much- But on why it happens and when it will happen- I have not got a clue- nor is there much on RC or other places as to why. I had the long feather type growing in my Nano cube just fine- I harvested every month a bit to keep it under control and then one weekend it started turning white on the ends and then disappeared altogether- did not seem to affect the tank much at all and my cube has no skimmer.

I have had it do the same in my fuge of my main tank which is why I seldom let it get very big there. I wonder if the red varient would go asexual like that- I would be willing to go in and try some with you if you want- I have never had much luck keeping everything in the tank from heading for the red macro though.(tang heaven?)

BTW I for got to get some of the neat looking pods you have in there, so If you are coming down the parkway - stop in and bring me some- I will make it worth your while frag wise-- They almost look like an isopod-harmless varient

Regards,

Lee

I thought calerpa would only get sexy if there was too much of it. Also, from what I hear it happens quickly, and this is a slow process.

Hmmm.

They ALMOST look harmless? That isn't good. Maybe we should figure out what they are before we start spreading them around.

There are many types of Iso pods out there that I was reading about a while back- Out of hundreds of virieties there are only a couple that are the harmful fish attacking varieties- the rest are benificial- have you seen any clinging onto one of your fish sucking blood?- No-- and this has been running three months- have you seen one of these isopods being eaten by any of your fish?- If so I would say they are beneficial critters. But I am game to let them devour anything in your tank for a couple of more more months before importing-

On the asexual change in calurpa- yea it occurs over two -three days before it is totally gone- no trace, and seems like if the grape and feather are intertwined they will go at the same time- If they are fairly seperate, opposite ends of the same fuge, then one going asexual will not affect the other. I am not sure what the nutrient levels were when it went- High, low, or not a factor- Did not seem to be a factor in my nano- as I kept it trimmed to about the same amount. At least those were my observations.

Now on that note I saw at live aquaria that they are selling white feeder shrimp-tank raised- whose adult size only gets to about 1/2 inch- I thought about cranking a small 5 gallon up to see how they do- they sell by the hundred- want to split a hundred a couple of ways anyone?

Sorry for hijacking the calurpa thread- the shrimp might eat calurpa? :lol:

Regards,