Elementary Science Project

steveoutlaw

My wife is an elementary school teacher with a specialty science program and I'd like to put a tank together for her class. I'd like to do a 20 or 30 gallong reef tank that I'd like to get started now so it will be ready for the fall. If anyone would like to donate equipment, livestock, live rock or frags all will be appreciated. Also, If anyone has any ideas that would help this along they are welcome.

thanks,

Steve

Check out the thread that I have on my classroom tank. It's got a very simple set up and thus far has been incredibly easy to keep up. If you're searching for a "cheap" way to go (if you don't get the donations) this set up will cost you around $200-$300.

It's in the education forum (the only thing there) or you can also check it out in the RDO nano reef buildoff or on Reef Central in the nano forum as Floris Reef Tank.

By the way, depending on what grade she's teaching, there are tie-ins to almost every SOL along the way.

I had looked at that some last week. I have a 20g tall that I'm going to use. With that I'm going to take some sand from my tank to seed the southdown I put in and use water from water changes in my show tank to start it off. The things I do need are lighting, powerheads, live rock and frags.......and eventually a skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't seen this in a while, but I was going to add powerheads as well but opted for a surge system instead. It's got less heat generated in a small tank, it's quiet, and it's very reliable. With a small system in a school where typically they will turn air and heat off after hours, I think you're best off keeping the temp down with fewer heat cooled items in it. Let me know if you need help designing a surge or if you'd like more details on mine. I also just built one for my daughter's 58 which is kind of cool and works really great. I don't have a skimmer on mine at school, but I figure water changes will take care of that problem. Again, it's a noise factor that I don't want in the classroom. As far as lighting, since kids are often going to be sticking their hands in the tank to learn about it, I'd avoid MH lighting and go with some PC or other flourescent tubes. Safety first! Good luck with the project!

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for lighting and a skimmer for this project. I have a 20g tall that I'm going to be setting up with live sand and live rock. I'd like to get it set up as soon as possible so it will be ready to go when the next school year starts. I'd like to get a 250w ballast and socket (I have the bulb) and a skimmer that will work well on a 20g. I would appreaciate any livestock donations as well.

Thanks all for your help.

Steve

I'd really like to hear about your surge system. could you tell me a little more about it?

Hadn't seen this in a while, but I was going to add powerheads as well but opted for a surge system instead.  It's got less heat generated in a small tank, it's quiet, and it's very reliable.  With a small system in a school where typically they will turn air and heat off after hours, I think you're best off keeping the temp down with fewer heat cooled items in it.  Let me know if you need help designing a surge or if you'd like more details on mine.  I also just built one for my daughter's 58 which is kind of cool and works really great.  I don't have a skimmer on mine at school, but I figure water changes will take care of that problem.  Again, it's a noise factor that I don't want in the classroom.  As far as lighting, since kids are often going to be sticking their hands in the tank to learn about it, I'd avoid MH lighting and go with some PC or other flourescent tubes.  Safety first!  Good luck with the project!

32017[/snapback]

It's a simple Carlson type surge device but I used an Eclipse 1 hood and modified it. Since then I've built a surge top for my 58. If you want to see the exact method of how I did it in the Eclipse, check out RDO (Nano Buildoff Thread for Floris Reef Tank) or Reef Central (Nanos under Floris Reef Tank Journal). These give the details on how I built the surge (same information on both sites). Or, you can check out the one I did for my daughter's tank in this forum (Check Out My Daughter's 58 - I bumped it for you from page 2). I can help you design and build one for your wife's tank if you want. I will probably build one this summer for a student anyway.

Also, we should get together and see if we can get light donations from a supplier together. If we can get someone to donate lights to WAMAS that can be applied for for educational purposes, that would be great.

I'm all for that. I was going to just start contacting the local stores but now I'm thinking about going to the manufacturers as well. Right now I only have a 20g tank but would like to start out with at least a 29g possible bigger. My problem is that I don't want to have to pay for it and the school certainly won't.

Who were you planning on going to for light donations?

Steve

It's a simple Carlson type surge device but I used an Eclipse 1 hood and modified it.  Since then I've built a surge top for my 58.  If you want to see the exact method of how I did it in the Eclipse, check out RDO (Nano Buildoff Thread for Floris Reef Tank) or Reef Central (Nanos under Floris Reef Tank Journal).  These give the details on how I built the surge (same information on both sites).  Or, you can check out the one I did for my daughter's tank in this forum (Check Out My Daughter's 58 - I bumped it for you from page 2).  I can help you design and build one for your wife's tank if you want.  I will probably build one this summer for a student anyway.

Also, we should get together and see if we can get light donations from a supplier together.  If we can get someone to donate lights to WAMAS that can be applied for for educational purposes, that would be great.

32627[/snapback]

Guest Larry-T

Is your wife going to attend MACNA? I'm doing an instructional design workshop for teachers designing programs around aquariums in the classroom.

Actually, the tank will be going in their science lab. I'm going to instruct the science teacher on feeding and emptying the skimmer but I'll be setting up the tank and doing the bi-monthly water changes.

I have a 25 Tall that you are more than welcome to have.  Dimensions are 24x12x20 (I think). As for stocking it,  I have some zenia if you want it :D

32905[/snapback]

If Steve doesn't want it, I might be interested in it. I am going to be setting up another tank in the other 5th grade science teacher's room next year, so a free tank would be great. I won't be able to store it until later, though.

Who were you planning on going to for light donations?

Steve

Not sure yet, but I was hoping to find a contact at Hamilton, ESU, PFO, or one of the other big manufacturers that are located in the US. I'll be able to research more this summer.

I'll trade you a 20g for it if you want. I've got a nice trash can for that Xenia. Actually I'll have about 20 more stalks to harvest in about 4 weeks.

Steve

THANK YOU MICHELLE!

Michelle just donated a 40g tank for the elementary school tank. Also donated a pair of beautiful clowns, 2 green chromis and 2 BTA's. This thing is really starting to come together. If anybody has anything else they can donate it would be greatly appreciated. Still looking for a skimmer, live rock and lighting.

thanks again Michelle.

steve have you already set the tank up? HWne you are ready I always have a colt coral- green tree and yellow colony that you can pick up whenever you are ready- They are easy soft corals.

Thanks Lee - I'll take you up on that. Right now I just have some fish in the tank. I'm not going to put anything else in the tank until I have good lights for it. thanks again for your offer.

Steve

Ok folks, it looks like all I'm going to need to get this thing going is lights. I have a 36" tank so if anyone can spare a fixture please do. If I can't get one by weeks end I'm going to buy one. So, I should be ready for frags by next week.

Steve