Reef Reproduction

LCDRDATA

I had just started feeding my tank this evening (full lights, all pumps off) when I noticed my short-spined urchin pumping out sperm (at least, I think that's what it was, since you really couldn't make out any individual particles). Hopefully you can tell in the pictures, as the "best" had dispersed before I could get my camera, but the "haze" around the urchin isn't spooge on the glass but gametes in the water column. I'd seen my snails do this before, but this is a "first" for an urchin in my experience. With no ladyfriend their obviously won't be the pitter-patter of extra-tiny tube feet in the tank, but all the filter feeders got the main course AND dessert tonight :biggrin: !

gallery_2631918_925_224094.jpg

gallery_2631918_925_6906.jpg

gallery_2631918_925_81764.jpg

gallery_2631918_925_36247.jpg

That is very cool. Did you do anything yesterday that might have caused the event?

Not as far as I know. As I said, all the pumps were shut off so the water was still; however that's a weekly event so I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. For that matter, if the urchin had ever done this before with normal flow, depending on where it was in the tank it might well have not been noticeable.