SCUBA Certification

Guest Leishman

Guest Leishman

Any sugestions on a local dive shop for SCUBA Certification?

How much does it run?

there is one right there in bethesda that does padi cert. there open water cert is in grand caymen. ill giveyou the ifno if i can find it when i get home tonight

Rik,

Adventure Scuba http://www.scubava.com/ in Chantilly VA.

Is the outfit that I won my free lesson's with last year!

Was a great outfit if nothing is closer, did their dives at the quarry off Rt 66.

Lessons where around $350 I believe, which is about standard for this area.

Howard

I got my Scuba certification at the 'Dive Shop' in Vienna, VA - $328 (whole package) Unless you think you will enjoy getting certified at a local quarry, I suggest you look for a resort based certification program on your next vacation. Seen them in Florida, Hawaii, Thailand... (Thai was the cheapest one as I recall) Millbrook Quarry sucks - I almost lost interest in diving after going there.

I would suggest you consider a local course over a resort course. most resort courses are far more time compressed than local certifications. I think you will find it more relaxing to take a more spread out course. In addition, this format really allows you to fine tune your knowledge and allow more time to learn the material and skills from the instructor. A good option (but more expensive obviously) is to take the confined water, book work and tests locally and then get the open water dives (there are 4) somewhere more exotic. All you have to do is have the instructor sign off on what was completed locally so you can present the forms to the final certifying instructor. If you do the open water dives locally, I would recommend you try to find a time when the dive shop you choose goes to Lake Rawlings (VA). It's much warmer than the other options.

David