Nano skimmer

El Camaron

Funny, Dan and I just talked about this today. We are going to get a few of the nano version of Sicce's PSK 1000 and see how well it does with airdraw, power, etc. What are some key features you'd want in a nano skimmer?

What are some key features you'd want in a nano skimmer?

1. Easy to "tune"

2. Quiet

3. Reliable/quality pump

4. Good price

The Tunze Nano and AquaC Remora would be the stiffest competition both priced around $145. If you put something out in the $115-125 range you would take the market imo.

I like the Tunze, but the replacement pumps are EXPENSIVE and not readily available via local retailers. Also, the top and bottom can pop off so easy, and for the price this should not happen. I keep an extra long zip tie around the thing to keep it together...

The aquac remora does not need a constant waterlevel like the tunze which is a plus. Also, using the mj for a pump is a plus. Being external can be a plus or negative depending on your setup, as opposed to the internal design of the tunze. *I have never owned a aquac, but see a lot of good reviews.

You guys could try to make one to be run internal or external? Not sure if that is realistic. Probably not, but just throwing it out there.

from what i have noticed, is that most nano skimmer designs are very similar, one of the only things setting them appart is teh quality of material and pump used. To be truthful, i really like the one that comes with the solana, the design is simple and after a quick mesh mod, it seems to perform as well as other high end skimmers. What i am looking for is definitely a reliable pump and a skimmer body that is efiicient enough to be used in several different nano tanks. if you think about it, the compartments of most nano tanks are about the same size and by putting the pump at the bottom like the stck solana skimmer has it, it creates room for the skimmer. I also dont want a finikey skimmer like the tunze, forget about having to regulate it too much, once in sump/compartment it should just work. I would also preferably like a mesh or any other wheel that is efficient at creating bubbles for it to work properly. Anyways, my tank is at your services if you would like a guiney pig for a prototype, let me know.

thanks

Would anyone consider an air driven (limewood) skimmer? I think if airstone replacement was easy, this would offer by far the best reliability, noise level, low heat transfer, energy efficiency, performance and price. Needlewheels are great for large skimmers, but a little basswood or limewood airstone is perfect for a nano skimmer. I used to use one way back when, and it always pulled brown mud. It was necessary to clean the skimmer all the time to keep it producing, but that's what we have Swabbies for now :)

I used the small biocube skimmer a long time ago with no success, I would be willing to try another as long is it works. Would this skinner be efficient for heavily stocked tanks?

The Biocube Oceanic brand skimmer is worthless. I'm surprised the company couldn't make a product that would support the biocube better. There is a market for an internal nano skimmer. The Tunze in my opinion controls the market because it does work very well. The comments above are correct though. It requires an exact water level which requires you to get an ATO. The pump in the skimmer will soon burn out if the water level is not constantly the same. There was a company called Sapphire Aquatics that made a nano skimmer that went out of business that I almost bought. They had some good looking products, it was puzzling why they went out of business because I thought they would had been doing pretty well. I think that would be a good skimmer for Avast to try and build around. The skimmer had a nice footprint and would fit into most nanotank back chambers.

• 2 weeks later...

I want a good Skimmer for my back chamber. The one I have uses an air stone doesn't seem to pull anything out. I would mind building one with avast help