What's an economical way to set-up a DSB in a large fuge?

(edited)

I'm setting-up a fuge that is 5' X 18". It will have 2 small LR islands and a large space of 4-5" sand with turtle-grass planted in it. I'm looking for a lease-expensive way to put a DSB in there. Suggestions?

Edited by Larry Grenier

I'm setting-up a fuge that is 5' X 18". It will have 2 small LR islands and a large space of 4-5" sand with turtle-grass planted in it. I'm looking for a lease-expensive way to put a DSB in there. Suggestions?

Larry, go to Southern States Manassas on Rt. 28 and pick up their Southdown/Old Castle white playsand. .4 cubic feet is $3.99 for the bag, but you should get $10 off a purchase greater than $75. I have been slowly stocking up on this sand for past month because I am building a large tank.

Anyway, this is a fine grade of crushed coral sand, likely mined of the Grand Bahama Banks. In the past it was available from Home Depot but was discontinued a few years ago. It is a very pretty white if you have enough sand sifters to process it. It is a very fine grade. I can't think of a better qualification than the writing on the bag which states "Not for aquarium use". I can't think of a more economical way to get a lot of sand for a fuge.

Southdown / Old Castle are still around? The last tried to find some in ~2005 and was unsuccessful.

LOL on the "not for aquarium use" tag! That stuff was THE way to go back in the day...

(edited)

Thanks Dave!

Chad, I didn' think it was still around either

I might add a small bag of live sand to jump start the bacteria farm

Right On! Edited by Larry Grenier

Hi! I just posted about moving and breaking down my tanks. I have a 5' x 18" Oceanic 110 with about 3" of powder-fine Oolitic sand. If you could use it, I could let you have it all for $30 if you could bring some buckets for me to put it in. Let me know, or check out my post and stop by Sunday between 1 and 5 if you want to check it out. PM me if your interested.

Greg