Frozen food stinks!

beatle

I'm a huge fan of Scott711's food. My fish go absolutely bonkers for it; even my picky coral beauty angel devours it like she's on death row. I also feed PE mysis a few times a week, sometimes soaked in selcon and/or Kent's garlic. The issue I have is smell. Even with a fresh cup of ROX carbon in the reactor, my tank will stink up the room for several hours after feeding one of these frozen foods. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, is this just the nature of the beast or is there anything else to do to mitigate this?

Some stuff does stink, but I never smell it once it's back in the freezer. Are you somehow dropping some of it, or is some of it getting caught somewhere other than actually in the water?

It didn't do it at first, only recently. When I feed Scott's food, I just hold the bag in the tank until enough melts to break up and feed the fish. I take the bag out and let the excess water drain back into the tank, then I put it back into a second freezer bag and toss it back in the freezer.

With mysis, I just soak a cube in garlic for 5-10 minutes, then dip the container in the water to distribute the shrimp. Doesn't seem as potent as the mixed frozen, but still noticeable.

I always break or cut off what I need into a glass cup and then thaw my food with ro water,then I feed my tank with the cocktail,some people say to rinse all the water out and use only the big food chunks,but i use the liquid and all,(maybe that's why I have high nitrates)

Curtis

Regarding the frozen homemade, Rods, etc., if you use only the big chunks, you're throwing away the food for the corals.

If i am understanding correctly, you are putting the bag of food in the aquarium to thaw and then you refreeze it? If so your food is bad. Just like most frozen products, once they thaw they should not be froze again. Just my .02.

(edited)

Hmm, I had no idea that would cause the issue.

I guess I should have broken it up when I first got it? Is that the method? Trying to break off tiny chunks from a solid block is a chore. My mysis thawed on the long trip back from BRK, though I tossed it into the freezer when I got home.

Edited by beatle

When i go to buy frozen fish food i always take a cooler and ice packs. I always just break off a piece of the frozen, it breaks pretty easy.

Must not be quite as thick. To easily break off a piece of frozen, it needs to be huge to get the leverage I need, or I need to apply the tip of sharp knife and a hard tap on the handle to snap off a chunk. Hopefully the entire batch has not spoiled. I don't think I've left it out.