DIY LED fixture help?

LanglandJoshua

I am looking to build a LED fixture. Since I have absolutely no experience with it, I would like to see if someone can help me build it. I don't know the limitations of the LED's, and I saw a post about a micro controller for dimming. It would be nice, but it is not 100% necessary for me. Besides, it could be added later right?

I have seen several LED lights on the market, and really just don't trust the retailers claims of equaling metal halide(MH). Having someone who actually knows what their talking about, isn't trying to just make a sale, and has numbers to back it would definitely put me at ease.

So if you have experience and are willing to help out an LED newbie, YOUR AWESOME!:clap: Haha, I know there are several LED pro's here. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! I would definitely owe you some frags later on!(need to let what I have grow!)

Guest thefishman65

If thought out the controller can be added later.

I have measured 300 PAR (at the surface) with a fixture 18 inches over a tank. One of these days I need to measure the sand.

Here is a great place to start your education.

I have measured 300 PAR (at the surface) with a fixture 18 inches over a tank. One of these days I need to measure the sand.

I am getting over 200 par at the sand on my biocube with the 24diy led's on full blast. I have them turned way down from this. I get 800 at the top corals on full blast, and 1600 par at the fixture out of water...

I think if you space the led's 2-3 inches apart you will get even spread without optics. Figure out the surface area of your tank to see how many total led's you will need. Don't go all the way to the edge of the tank either.

You will want to dim the led's for both appearance, and to keep them from burning your corals IME.

I am a big supporter of rapidled.com for their great customer service. I know there have been GB's with better pricing.

The main question is what kind of corals?

I am getting over 200 par at the sand on my biocube with the 24diy led's on full blast. I have them turned way down from this. I get 800 at the top corals on full blast, and 1600 par at the fixture out of water...

I think if you space the led's 2-3 inches apart you will get even spread without optics. Figure out the surface area of your tank to see how many total led's you will need. Don't go all the way to the edge of the tank either.

You will want to dim the led's for both appearance, and to keep them from burning your corals IME.

I am a big supporter of rapidled.com for their great customer service. I know there have been GB's with better pricing.

The main question is what kind of corals?

Well it's good news that they are so strong. I have some birdsnest SPS, chalice, 4 anemones, and some montipora. Ive heard it could be done for around $500.

Guest thefishman65

$500 is doable get in on Brian's group buy. 48 on a 75 should be plenty, but if you are really worried go 60 with dimmable drivers.