PVC Pipe or Flexible Tube?

Steve Ramos

I'm back again with a new questions for the experts. My tank is getting there slowly. I have my 75 gallon corner overlow tank, sump, and return pump on the way.

What material is best to connect everything? I think 3/4 flexible vinyl tubing is best for the return line because it'll be longer and I can bend it around to reach the 3/4 bulk head/return pipe to flow back into the tank.

My main question is what type of pipe to use that will go straight down into the sump. It won't have to be too long because the sump will be directly below the corner flow drain. I have the All Glass kit which came with the 1 inch drain pipe and bulk head. Do I simply go to Home Depot/Lowes and get a straight PVC pipe that will drain straight down into the sump? Or do I get a flexible PVC so that I can bend it a little to restrict some of the flow? Or do I stick with the flexible vinyl tube just like the return pump?

Once I have these connected, do you recommend I get anything to clamp down at the end to prevent leaks? Plastic clamps work best?

I know getting the flow just right can be trial and error so I'm hoping the different types of plumbing could help. I did get the new Tunze Silence pump that is able to change the return flow. I will provide a review once everything is up and running! I appreciate all of the advice!

Are your bulkheads slip PVC fittings or barbed to accept hose? I use flex PVC when I can. Less chance of a leak when properly primed and glued.

Also look into the "Herbie" style of plumbing your overflow. Silence is golden!

Edited by beatle

Are your bulkheads slip PVC fittings or barbed to accept hose? I use flex PVC when I can. Less chance of a leak when properly primed and glued.

Also look into the "Herbie" style of plumbing your overflow. Silence is golden!

Here is a picture of the bottom of my bulkheads. The left is the Drain and the right is for the return pump. I'm assuming these are barbed...

Thanks!

post-2632794-130266414364_thumb.jpeg

I use hard PVC except for the last 12-18" or so, which I use silicone tubing. It is much more flexible and hence blocks more vibration noise than vinyl tubing.

Do you know of a good place to get silicone tubing?

I like the clear vinyl tubing you get at Lowe's. I've used it for long lengths (like connecting my bulkheads with a single piece to my sump in my basement). Elegant solution, less loss of flow, easy to get around bends, etc.

Also I like being able to see inside them. It lets me know where to tap if a snail is caught in there (which never happened). I never had any algae build up in mine, but if I was worried about that, I would have covered them with something removable (like a piece of fabric).