MH fixture

losking44

how everyone doing , still new to the i had t5 on my tank , looking of getting 2x150w MH fixture , but which , never had mh is mh so much more better than t5 for growth of coral , i hear there alot heat problem with mh , thank carlos

(edited)

Depends on your configuration and environment, really. Though it's only April, I'd been running two 150w halides over my 40g breeder without much impact on temperature. Tank is open top. I'm running two 250w halides over my 120g now (enclosed canopy) and I have a couple cheap clip on fans that I use to keep heat at bay. They cycle on and off. So far no problems.

T5s can be more efficient, and I've run them as well with good results, but I'm a sucker for the shimmer lines of a halide and can't turn back now. :)

Edited by beatle

(edited)

I run fans during the summer to cool my tank since the room it's in is generally over 80 degrees during the summer. At present I have them set to run while the lights are on, but I'd prefer to have a switch of some sort that turns them on when the temperature is above a certain setting. Does anyone know of such a device? Seems like there would be one out there.....

What would be really nice would be to have a double outlet switch, one outlet hooked up to a heater, the other to the fans. When the outlet hooked up to the heater draws current, the one to the fans would turn off, and vice versa. I've never managed to locate such a thing. The looks I got from the guys at Radio Shack when I asked about whether such a thing existed were priceless, though....

Edited by astroboy

Any reef computer will do that. Something as inexpensive as a Reefkeeper Lite will do what you're asking. I have my heaters come on at 78.0, turn off at 78.5, and my fans kick on at 79, off at 78.6.

i had 150gal tall , i had 8 t5 , was doing well , it broke , so i hope to get this 150gal long, i think about getting mh , heard coral grow fast , thinking of putting two 250w hm

Depends on your configuration and environment, really. Though it's only April, I'd been running two 150w halides over my 40g breeder without much impact on temperature. Tank is open top. I'm running two 250w halides over my 120g now (enclosed canopy) and I have a couple cheap clip on fans that I use to keep heat at bay. They cycle on and off. So far no problems.

T5s can be more efficient, and I've run them as well with good results, but I'm a sucker for the shimmer lines of a halide and can't turn back now. :)

Beatle where did you get your clip on fans from?

I bought mine from target for 10...