Aquapod 12

LeoFisherman

I'm sure there are. What type of Mod are you looking at? The only problem you will have on a tank that small is using a good protein skimmer.

I'm sure there are. What type of Mod are you looking at? The only problem you will have on a tank that small is using a good protein skimmer.

Yea, even if you can't get a good protein skimmer I would get something that will fit. I believe they really help keep the PH up by aerating the water in a tank such as this. I would start with some chemipure and purigen first.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaPod_c11.htm Seems they do not have much for your specific tank. I would use some eggcrate to build a rack in the back chamber similiar to the ones they sell here.

Do not go with any rubble rock or bio balls, as they will only trap detritus and increase your trates. Also, do not waste your time trying to keep chaeto algae back there.

Have any pictures?

Yea, even if you can't get a good protein skimmer I would get something that will fit. I believe they really help keep the PH up by aerating the water in a tank such as this. I would start with some chemipure and purigen first.

http://shop.mediabas...AquaPod_c11.htm Seems they do not have much for your specific tank. I would use some eggcrate to build a rack in the back chamber similiar to the ones they sell here.

Do not go with any rubble rock or bio balls, as they will only trap detritus and increase your trates. Also, do not waste your time trying to keep chaeto algae back there.

Have any pictures?

here is a picture a few months ago i need more recent pics

I kinda feel like my ap is a lil too cluttered with a mandarin 2 clowns and a blenny

Things dont look as well as they did in the picture i am beginning to realize that. My cleaner shrimp i has disappeared i have no clue where all the bumblebee snails are but found a penny sized starfish on the glass one day and havent seen him since. have two emeralds that look health. i need to do a water change and to move some things to my 55gal

as for mods i am looking for skimmers, better filtration, what other lightning can i use instead of the stock pc. everything is stock. I am only using a debris catcher and bio bags with active carbon i need alot of help.

please excuse my ignorance! :blink:

post-2632723-130227122198_thumb.jpg

(edited)

I'm running an Aquapod 12 as well. I ran one a couple years ago and re-started it, and my lessons learned are:

- Use a filter sponge (like Aquaclear 70)

- Put a half-size unit of Chemi-Pure on top of the sponge

- Put a bag of Aquaclear filter balls (fluval-looking rocks) on top of that

Those go in the overflow chamber. For best results, put a sheet of plastic or something down in that chamber to block the bottom two intake vents to get more flow from the overflow as opposed to mid- and bottom-tank water.

- Water changes, water changes, water changes! Once a week, 1 to 2 gallons.

You can get away with no skimmer by doing weekly water changes of one to two gallons, and rinsing the sponge and ball bag (ball sack? lol). Replace the Chemi-Pure once a month.

When I had the tank going two years ago, I was doing water changes every two weeks, and not rinsing the media. I am FAR FAR happier this time around now that I'm keeping to a weekly regimen and maintaining the filter media.

There really aren't any good mods for the Aquapod 12.

Your bio-load may be a little too heavy for such a small tank. I think I'm pretty much at the limit, and I've got two clowns and a scooter. You may want to move one of your fish (probably the mandarin) to your 55g.

Edited by The Kerrnel

I'm running an Aquapod 12 as well. I ran one a couple years ago and re-started it, and my lessons learned are:

- Use a filter sponge (like Aquaclear 70)

- Put a half-size unit of Chemi-Pure on top of the sponge

- Put a bag of Aquaclear filter balls (fluval-looking rocks) on top of that

Those go in the overflow chamber. For best results, put a sheet of plastic or something down in that chamber to block the bottom two intake vents to get more flow from the overflow as opposed to mid- and bottom-tank water.

- Water changes, water changes, water changes! Once a week, 1 to 2 gallons.

You can get away with no skimmer by doing weekly water changes of one to two gallons, and rinsing the sponge and ball bag (ball sack? lol). Replace the Chemi-Pure once a month.

When I had the tank going two years ago, I was doing water changes every two weeks, and not rinsing the media. I am FAR FAR happier this time around now that I'm keeping to a weekly regimen and maintaining the filter media.

There really aren't any good mods for the Aquapod 12.

Your bio-load may be a little too heavy for such a small tank. I think I'm pretty much at the limit, and I've got two clowns and a scooter. You may want to move one of your fish (probably the mandarin) to your 55g.

The filter sponge, chemi-pure, and filter balls are in the overflow chamber? What all do you have in the second chamber then? I have the filter sponge in the first chamber, two biobags in the 2nd chamber and heater and return pump in the third is there something wrong with that? You really think i should move a fish. I'll try doing the weekly water changes. I really been searching for the mods but there isn't any anywhere :angry:. Do you have everything stocked Kerrnel?

Everything I have in that tank is stock except the return pump (MJ900). My understanding of the filtration, and this is just my limited understanding, is that the mechanics are such that the water should be overflowing into the overflow chamber and going through the ceramic media sock for filtration, then through the carbon media, then through the sponge (similar in theory to a sump/skimmer setup). So I have my sponge at the bottom of the chamber, the chemi-pure sock on top of it, and then the ball sock on top of that.

The water then exits out the overflow chamber at the bottom, comes over the barrier, down to the bottom again, and into the return chamber. The only thing I have in the middle chamber with the barrier is my heater. I think the main function of the sponge is to filter out smaller particles and keep air bubbles down. Having the balls after the sponge may introduce bubbles from the disturbed flow, and I don't think you'd get much filtration effectiveness from them...the sponge would just clog up with the larger particles that the balls would normally take care of. At least that's how I see things with my limited understanding. I could be off-base, and if I am, someone please correct me, but this makes sense in my head somehow. The sponge may goop up quicker the way you have it setup, which might reduce flow and filtration effectiveness. I'd try the way I've got mine setup and see if it makes a difference.

If you keep religiously to a weekly water change of 1-2g, then you can probably get away with the bioload you have. If you have doubts about it, its probably safer to move the Mandarin...they'd probably like the bigger tank anyway.

Unfortunately there are no real mods for the Aquapod 12g, with perhaps the exception of putting in a 5w UV filter. I'm looking into this, but not sure how much of a difference it would make in such a small tank with frequent water changes for the money I'd spend on it.

Mike.