Sump question

Siege

So I have a sump that I'm a little confused about. It's an acrylic 29 long for my 50 breeder and is already assembled. I got it from GC with the tank, which isn't up yet (I'm finally done finishing the stand... stupid cold weather). Anyway, If I were designing a sump from scratch, I wouldn't do it exactly like this, but I'd do something very close. Here's what it looks like now (this is a lousy sketch and not to scale):

post-2632713-129960180872_thumb.png

My concern is with the leftmost baffle on the fuge chamber, as well as the standoffs and egg crate. I don't think any of them are necessary, and I'm wondering why the designer put them there. I'm thinking I could either pack the fuge with LR and/or chaeto, but that's about it. I was thinking about doing a DSB in the sump, but that baffle would make it inconvenient to do so.

Any thoughts on whether I should use it as-is, or try to modify it? As I said, it's acrylic, so I can't simply pop the extra baffle out. I'd have to cut it or drill it.

Guest thefishman65
(edited)

The idea IMO is to catch bubbles. Any bubbles that get into the fuge can't just go over a baffle and into the return. They must go under a baffle which is harder for them. The second baffle sets the water height in the fuge (you probably new that). Same on the skimmer side.

[EDIT]

I would probably use as is.

Edited by thefishman65

My sump is very similar, I have the skimmer in the first chamber where the return from the Display tank pours into the sump, ive heard its best to have the skimmer first, then I have my DSB/refugium in the middle compartment, and my return pump and carbon reactor in the 3rd compartment.. I dont have as many baffles as you do, and I have no micro bubble issues. Sorry I dont have a pic of it handy..

I know the baffles are meant to trap bubbles, but since I haven't set this up yet, I'm not sure how big of a problem bubbles are going to be. I'm also planning a "Herbie" style overflow setup, which is supposed to virtually eliminate bubbles in the sump anyway (aside from what might be produced by the skimmer, which will be behind a baffle no matter what I do).

I'm not keen on making changes if I don't have to, and I can think of two different ways to use this sump as-is:

1) As I've marked it. Split the drain to the two outer chambers and return from the middle. I'd use the standoff/egg crate side as the fuge packed with smaller pieces of LR and a layer of chaeto on top. I could probably get about 20lbs of LR in there, but no DSB.

2) Do a straight flow through like trockafella. Skimmer on one side, fuge in the middle, return on the opposite side. I wouldn't be able to control the flow through the fuge area, but it does give me a bigger fuge with room for a DSB.

Decisions, decisions...

Guest thefishman65

Problem with #1. The herbie drain only has water coming down one drain. The second drain is an emergency and should stay dry. You could split the return and send some to the tank and some to the fuge. This is probably what I would do.

(edited)

That's what I said... or at least intended to. "Split the drain." The emergency drain will go directly to the return chamber, well enough above the waterline to make noise if in use.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by Siege

Dont split the drain or anything that could leave more of a headache in the long run. You dont need to control flow through your fuge, it will be just fine. I actually have lots of flow in my fuge and it does just fine. Keep it simple and easy, no need to try and do more than needed..

Yeah, it seems that a straight-though flow will make life a lot easier. The plumbing is certainly simpler, the fuge is bigger, and a dsb becomes possible.

I'm leaning more towards the straight-though design, but I guess the reason I'm hesitant about it because I see a lot more in(fuge)->out<-in(skim) setups than I do in(skim)->fuge->out and it's impossible to know what will work best for me until I've tried it.

Not sure where your located, but your welcome to stop by and take a look at mine. I will try to take a few pics tonight if I get a chance. My sump is a 36 x 12 x 16 (30long?), with 3 chambers, not even fancy baffles, I always had a large refugium area (middle chamber), about 6 months ago I made it a DSB as well.. Very happy with the results of adding it. I also use that area to keep some small pieces of live rock, good to have for putting frags on, or adding new corals you have rock ready to go, Ive even consider using some LEDs over it and keeping some frags there.. My MR1 reactor is now in the sump as well and the return blows accross the refugium, I have flow going multiple ways in it. My cheato grows great, tons and tons of pods and micro brittle stars etc..

The plubing is definitely much easier, im personally re-doing mine now. Ive heard its good to keep the skimmer first, near the return line from the DT, and some people use there return feed right into the skimmer, cant remember what thats called, maybe downdraft.? Overall I think you will be happier with the end result, and its easier ot tinker and upgrade your sump design with the straight through style set up..

its easier ot tinker and upgrade your sump design with the straight through style set up..

That's what I'm beginning to see. I've been reading up on DSBs and I noticed that a lot of people who keep them don't run a skimmer, chemical media, or dose anything. It seems to me that doing as much natural filtration as possible seems like a winning idea, and a straight-through sump seems like the best way to do that in my case... so I guess I'm sold. For now, I guess for now I'll plan to run my skimmer in the first chamber, but may eventually replace it with either a HOT model (or do away with it altogether) and pack that chamber with LR rubble. DSB, a bit more LR, and chaeto in the center, return in the last chamber.

Pics of your setup would be much appreciated. I love pics. I live in Oakton close to Reston Town Center, but as much as I'd love to see your rig in person, I have two small kids and a wife that works longer hours than I do, all of which puts a cramp on my ever going anywhere ;-)

Keep the skimmer, its still very useful.! I like to keep some live rock, but dont pack it to much bc you want to be able to work in there and be able to clean the sump. I will try and get a few pics up, and if you need some cheato when you get it up and running let me know, im not far from you (next to fair oaks mall) so I can swing it by to you if needed..