John's 57G Rimless

John

(edited)

Changing light / lighting on corals is always something you want to err on the side of caution. When purchasing coral you should always take notice of what lighting and placement the coral came from, whether it be from a LFS or from someone's tank. Thus, when you introduce that coral into your tank you can place appropriately to give that coral time to adjust to your lighting; it may be a temporary placement, but that is okay!

For example, if you buy an SPS frag from LFS under T5, don't place it high under your MH...place it lower in the tank and slowly move it to where you envisioned it to be. Of course, this is part of a healthy acclimation process, temp, salinity, pH, etc, etc

That being said, changing your light source should not be hard on the coral, the goal is to make the transition slowly. This is the first time I have ever changed my light source on an established system, so I am learning the process myself. I am not intimated by it, I just don't want to bleach my coral. So, when I say your tank is young, I am essentially saying that your potential causality risk is lower. Of course, I don't want to see any coral die, but I rather see a frag die than a colony if given the choice...

Edited by John

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, another dedicated thread update with NO picture/s...yes, I hate them as much as you do...

So, I am happy with the new light...everything has responded well, such a relief!

I installed an MP40 this weekend, took awhile to get the placement right, but I'm happy with it. I may have to keep a 2nd powerhead in the tank for movement opposite the MP40...we'll see.

I picked up a new centerpiece from Onux20 this weekend, it's beautiful, bold, and so intense it hurts to stare at it :) It acclimated nicely and should be picture-worthy in a few days once it settles in.

I started being more thorough with my aquarium log...it gets updated almost every day!

I moved most my sps onto a frag rack that I positioned right under my mp40. I think that the pull is doing them well. Where did you end up putting it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Left pane, a few inches from the top and a few inches from the front pane. Most of my SPS was sold or traded...I am only gonna keep only the 4 SPS frags/colonies I have right now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Equipment for sale soon. 

Mods, please close this thread, livestock sold.  New set-up coming in the future!