Rebuilding Aquapod 12g - Hood Questions

The Kerrnel

Howdy...I have an Aquapod 12g tank that crashed a year or two ago and since then haven't done much with it. Just cleaned up the room it was in and thought it could use an aquarium again, so decided to get it back up and running. I've just finished cleaning up the tank and I'm noticing that the parts under the hood aren't in the best shape. Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though there's any retrofit kit for it like there is for the Biocube 14g. The heat shield appears to be a little rusted in areas, the fans are both very noisy and likely on their last legs, and I need new bulbs. Really wish there was a nanotuner kit for this. lol The stock ballast I assume is in good shape since everything powers on.

Assuming I need to replace the fans, obviously the bulbs. Can you get replacement shields?

Does anyone have these parts, or has anyone messed with improvements to the Aquapod 12g hood? Would love to hear from you.

Mike.

I just did a quick "google" search for you, I believe it came up with most of the parts you seemed worried about.

http://www.google.co...ih=635&bav=on.1,or.&fp=d0dc410bca72fadb

However at the cost you would pay to buy new ballast, lights, fans, hood, or much of anything else, it my be more cost effectiveand simple to buy a new tank. Ive seen several WAMAS members wanting to sell used nanocubes over the past month. However it may just be easier to get all new.

Keep us informed and good luck. This is an odd group.lol2.gif

We enjoy the build almost as much as the tanks themselves.clap.gif

Edited by LanglandJoshua

The Nano-Cube isn't the same as the Aquapod is it? If Nano-Cube/Aquapod/BioCube are all more or less interchangeable at the 12g-14g models, I wonder if the Biocube nanocustom kit would fit in the Aquapod 12g hood? I think that kit's about $90 and gives me an extra PC pair, bumping it from 54w to 72w. Not sure since I think it has an extra fan so probably wouldn't work.

I think I can find the parts online, but was kinda hoping someone may have one laying around or have alternate solutions. If the shape wasn't curved, I'd probably take a stab at making my own hood/canopy.

Mike.

I missread it, I doubt they are interchangeable. Most companies will change little things so that you have to buy THEIR product.

Sorry for the mistake here is the link for you. Just a quick google search got most of what I think you were looking for.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=aquapod+12+gallon+aquarium+kit&aq=1v&aqi=g1g-v3g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp=6ec3191c2b79d4d0

Had some time today after working overnight to hit some of the LFS' for parts and managed to scrounge up most of what I think I need. Got an order in for the fans from Marine Scene and they should be in next week, but I can get by until then.

I've decided to just go with the stock replacement stuff instead. Saves a lot of headache. If I feel the need to go beyond its capabilities, I'll get another tank.

Now my problem is with the replacement pump... I picked up a MJ900 and a replacement 1/2" hose to connect it to the return bulkhead, but darned if my ham hands can't maneuver in that return chamber! :lol2: I'm also worried the hose is too soft and at that sharp an angle might crimp and cut circulation. Wondering if I should find a 1/2" 90degree grommet to connect two pieces of hose to to ensure there isn't a flow restriction. At least that way I can probably leverage the hose into the bulkhead socket.

If anyone with small hands is in the Centreville area and wants to help me out... :tongue: Kidding.

Sort of.

Hopefully can get all the hardware together and working by the weekend so I can load up with rock and water and start the cycle.

Mike.

Decided to hike my skirt up and show it who the boss was and finally got the hose connected to the return socket. It is sad how good that one small victory felt. :clap: At least I should now be able to get everything working by the weekend to start cycling!

Is it possible to cycle a new tank with no lighting for a few days other than ambient light?

Mike.

There is no problem with cycling your tank in the dark. The bacteria population that you're trying to develop in the cycling process don't require light, but they do require a source of nitrogen (ammonia). You can also push the temperature up in the tank to help speed the bacteria population along.

Hey, Friend I have a 12- Gallon Aquapod and I have the stock pump available with the tube and everything. If you need it I can give it too u rolleyes.gif