Rose Anemone split

hoppies99

I've bought an rose anemone for my dad aquarium. We had the anemone for about 4 months ago. It just split today..... I was just wondering if it good or bad.?

Edited by hoppies99

I agree, Ive seen them split. Anemone's have two ways to reproduce.

1.) they can split in half turning one into two. Some aquarists actually cut them in half to speed up this process. It is very risky, and done wrong will needlessly kill the animal.

2.) like many marine organisms they can release sperm and egg into the water, if there are enough of this organism in the area and with a bit of luck the eggs and sperm will meet. Any individual anemone can release sperm, or egg, or both. So it is possible that one anemone could fertilize its own eggs. I beleive that the eggs attatch to a solid object and mature there. However i could be wrong.

Over all, even though it is very risky the only propegation I am aware of in captivity is splitting, or a forced split.

Congratulations on your anemone splitting, your doing something very right clap.gif

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Could also be a sign of something amiss with water quality. They split when they want to or when they are stressed, so a quick check is a good idea.

thank you... that's what i thought, because i had read something about the anemone split do to water issue. I'll do the test later.

I agree, Ive seen them split. Anemone's have two ways to reproduce.

1.) they can split in half turning one into two. Some aquarists actually cut them in half to speed up this process. It is very risky, and done wrong will needlessly kill the animal.

2.) like many marine organisms they can release sperm and egg into the water, if there are enough of this organism in the area and with a bit of luck the eggs and sperm will meet. Any individual anemone can release sperm, or egg, or both. So it is possible that one anemone could fertilize its own eggs. I beleive that the eggs attatch to a solid object and mature there. However i could be wrong.

Over all, even though it is very risky the only propegation I am aware of in captivity is splitting, or a forced split.

Congratulations on your anemone splitting, your doing something very right clap.gif

thank you:rolleyes: