MH and T5 Lighting Combination Advice

RagTopMan

Well, I am past due for a complete bulb change so now is obviously the time to explore options and seek some of the community's experience and advice.

I have 2 X 36" Outer Orbit fixtures over my standard 220g tank (72"L X 24"W X 30"H). Each fixture contains 2 X 250W DE HQI bulbs + 4 X 39W T5's + 18 LED moon lights. So I am about to get hit for 4 HQI's and 8 T5's. Just thinking about it hurts... My Reflectors are the stock Current USA setup and ballasts are magnetic. Bulbs I have been using are Phoenix 14K's for the HQI's and the T5's are stock Current USA bulbs (4 X 420nm + 4 X 460nm).

Original livestock plan for the tank was to be SPS dominated, however, having lost lost dozens of frags and mini-colonies, that plan has changed. What I now have is basically a fish only tank but with long tentacle and bubble tip anemones. I will continue to increase the number and variety of the bubble tips as their ease of care and compatibility with my angel and tang dominated fish collection makes for a beautiful set-up that my wife (IMPORTANT) and I greatly enjoy.

My amount of light is not at all a problem and I have even been exploring the notion of tackling a DIY LED set-up. The initial cost investment is an issue at the moment but I suppose if someone wanted my existing fixtures... maybe that should be a seperate post.

So back to the question of bulb choices for my existing set-up. I simply want to come up with a combination of bulb temperatures that will maximize colors. The only other option for the haldes would be 20K. Any thoughts? Are the Phoenix 14K's really nearly as blue as a 20K as I have read? Remember SPS growth is no longer an issue. It is all about colors!

With the T5's, here is where I really am overwhelmed with choices. What would be a pleasing combnation to really bring out the colors of my fish, anemones and coraline?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have!

Edited by RagTopMan

Guest thefishman65

Can't help you ith bulb choice, but what would they cost you. DIY LEDs will probably run you less than $800. And would probably increase the light level. For $600 maybe keep it the same.

I would stick with the Phoenix 14k DEs. They are reasonably priced and have great color. I use them over my 240 reef and love them. Try adding some variety to your T5 bulbs. Try a couple fiji purple bulbs along with some ATI pure actinic bulbs.

reefgeek.com is a great company to work with in ordering replacement bulbs.

(edited)

Can't help you ith bulb choice, but what would they cost you. DIY LEDs will probably run you less than $800. And would probably increase the light level. For $600 maybe keep it the same.

I ran the numbers on an LED rig several times and could not get it down to under a grand. Of course that was using heatsinks and Meanwell dimmable drivers. Care to shoot me a materials list on a controllable/dimmable set-up you would recommend? Sure would welcome the break on the Pepco bill.

Edited by RagTopMan

I would stick with the Phoenix 14k DEs. They are reasonably priced and have great color. I use them over my 240 reef and love them. Try adding some variety to your T5 bulbs. Try a couple fiji purple bulbs along with some ATI pure actinic bulbs.

reefgeek.com is a great company to work with in ordering replacement bulbs.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I don't end up going with an LED set-up, I would indeed probably stick with the Phoenix 14K's. Good color and cheaper than everything else out there. I'll definitely check into the T5's you suggested and reefgeek as well.

I ran the numbers on an LED rig several times and could not get it down to under a grand. Of course that was using heatsinks and Meanwell dimmable drivers. Care to shoot me a materials list on a controllable/dimmable set-up you would recommend? Sure would welcome the break on the Pepco bill.

See my DIY LED with dimmable drivers post in the DIY section. I broke down the LED kits, radio shack and Lowes/Home Depot price. I also have a 72" long tank and switched from 3 x 150W MH with 2 x 54W T5s.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/41514-diy-led-with-dimmable-drivers/

Guest thefishman65

Right now the group buy is $3 for the Royal blue and abut $5 for CW. Let's try 108 but 72 might be as bright as you have now. So that would be 54 * $3 + 54 * $5 = $432 for LEDs. maybe a little if you go heavier on RB (recommended). 9 Meanwells at $34 is $306. Use 9 of the 4.25x16 for $25 for another $225. You are at $963.

You could do a DIY driver based on the CAT4101 for $125. How did you want to dim? You could also use 'l' or 'U' from HD and be cheaper still

Arctic silver, wire solder, mounting HW, etc. depending on what you have $50-$100 I would guess.

I thnk up above I was thinking 48 LEDs (482) or 72 LED ($723) plus miscellaneous.

Why not ditch the halides all together, scrap the DIY led idea, and just use T5's, 2 36" T5 units would be plenty, since this is a fish only with anemones system.. Do you really want to spend a $1000 for a project that will always look unfinished, with no guarantee (or warranty), why waste the extra electricity and possible heat on the halides, just use T5s. You can purchase 2 brand new T5 units (that come with a warranty), you will have the ability to set up the color the way you want, as there are tons of options for T5 bulbs so you can get a really nice color, you can grow whatever you want if you decide to get back into corals, the heat output (if this is an issue) will be way less, and dont be fooled by the LED guys, LEDs still put off heat.. Your cost will be much lower initially, the energy usage will be very similar to the LEDs and way less than your current set up.. I know LEDs are the new sexy trend, but IMO unless your buying a Premade LED fixture (ie AI units, photon canon etc) there not really all that great, and I say that bc 1.) they look like crap, so you better have a canopy to hide the fixture unless you dont care that your light looks like frankenstein 2.) the whole dimming thing IMO is such a waste, reef tanks have done just fine without dimming leading up to this point, 3.) there isnt a warranty 4.) YOU have to build it 5.) the initial cost is a lot 6.) And we are all still waiting on the 50000 hours of life to be proven, but I think were at hour 13000 right now.. Again, these are my opinions and the LED guys will share the opinions.. The most important thing is that YOU ( and your wife) are happy with your purchase and decision, not all of us.. My advice is to go around and look at different set ups and see what you like, I know many of us would be more than happy to invite you in to our systems and give you insight into why we run our systems the way we do. Good luck..!!

Guest thefishman65

I might disagree with some of trockfla points, but I agree here

The most important thing is that YOU ( and your wife) are happy

and

go around and look at different set ups and see what you like

If you would like to see an LED fixture I am willing to show you mine.