Schooling Fish

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

I want to add a small school of fish to my 125g community reef. I am thinking of either 5 ocellaris clowns or 5 pajama or bangaii cardinals. Which of these would you choose or what else would you recommend? I had a school of seven chromis and I have 3 left, so don't try and sell me that lie! :D

Anthias are fantastic reef fish, IMO. In a 125, you could probably do 3-5 females and a male...

That's what I would do!

Cheers

Mike

Guest clownfish4

What kind of anthias would you go with? I use to have a Bartletts but it jumped out of my tank. My canopy is mostly closed now but I still have a few small holes that a firefish and chromis went carpet surfing through.

I think you will have the same problem with Banggai Cardinals that you had with the chromis. I started with 5, now have 2 plus the one that escaped into the sump that I've been too lazy to trap and trade out. The 2 that remain have been happily paired for over a year.

I've avoided anthias in the past due to the feeding requirements. I have always wanted to keep a square spot anthias, but I've been told they require at least two feedings per day. I try to limit my feeding schedule to once in the morning. Also, per the selection section of http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiines_ii.htm, there may not be general agreement that anthias are a good choice for creating a school in your tank.

Let me know what you find out. I have been thinking of adding a small school of chromis to my tank to see how it works out, but it doesn't sound like you've had success with that route.

Guest clownfish4

Lmeyer, I have tried chromis twice and both times went from 7 to 3. Not to mention 90% of the other people I have seen who had chromis had similar effects. I am going to look into a good school of anthias, any suggestions?

Re the jumping... I had the same problem with a midas blenny that hopped out. I got some mesh and covered the back of my canopy. It still allows for air flow through the canopy (keeping temp down) but doesn't let the fish through...

Re Anthias... I'd probably start with the Lyretail - Pseudanthias squamipinnis

Yes, they can be difficult/delicate, but usually just need some tlc. They do best if fed several times a day, so that can be a hassle. And, as someone mentioned earlier, best to make sure they are already feeding (that goes with several fish though...). As with many, I would only add them to an established tank.

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking into this again. Don't know if you made any decisions/purchases, but I've been thinking about trying out 3 Heniochus diphreutes. Don't know if you have space in your tank for these (or want to spend the $), but they definitely school in the wild.

Did someone say Heniochus? :)

Luv those guys!

Mike,

I was going to suggest Lyretails also, I understand it's best to put them all in at the same time. 1 Male with 3-5 Females. Beautiful fish!

BTW, My Green Chromis are back out in the open now and schooling again! Down to 4 of original 6!

How about 2-3 of the B/W Heniochus, would love great with a school of Anthias in their as well?

Howard

Guest clownfish4

I added three female lyretails and one male. I added them on Saturday and they have been hiding sense then. I occaisonally see the male or a female come out, but only for a few seconds. I'm assuming they are just getting use to the environment, but we'll see. I now have a yellow tang, blue hippo tang, mimic tang, foxface, 3 chromis, royal gramma, midas blenny, ocellaris clown, lamouti fairy wrasse, four anthias. I have fifteen fish and still hardly see very many. For my last additions, I will be adding a leopard wrasse and possibly four more ocellaris clowns and/or a pair of bangaii cardinals. Man I love having a fantastic skimmer!

Mike,

Where did you get your Lyretails from?

What skimmer are you running again?

Howard

Guest clownfish4

Lyretails came from the Reef Tank and I am running a Euroreef CS8-3.

Guest goblinshark

I was gonna recomend a herem of flasher wrasse, theyre so awsome, especially when the males flash, it looks so cool. but it sounds lik you have problems with jumpers, so i wwouldnt recommend em, theyre very skitterish