RED ALGAE PROBLEM

DEEPBLUE

About a week ago I started getting red algea growth on my sand and a little on my rock. What is the best way to get rid of it?

Guest BuddhaFish
(edited)

what are your water parameters and lighting?

the BEST way to get rid of it is to find the source of the algae......

what kind of water do you use? if its tap change it...if it's from an RODI unit, it could be leaching phosphates. U could get a phosphate test kit so u can see when the problem is fixed.

u can also try siphoning it out and for example: doing two smaller water changes a week instead of one big one.

and if you want a "temporary" fix...."red slime remover" works well. its a yellow powder, and make SURE you turn your skimmer down once you dose

and if your phosphates arent that high but u still have the algae, i recommend my saviour: chemipure. got rid of mine~

g/l

Edited by BuddhaFish

That is prolly cyno-bacteria. Does it "disapear" at night?

Increasing flow helps a lot.

Tell more about the tank. Age, filters, lights...

I had this problem for awhile, it was probably a combination of tap water and over-feeding. I ended up doing all the water changes with water from Drink More Water and feeding less. I think what REALLY did it was dosing Chemi-clean once. Three days after I dose the stuff, all the red slime algea is gone, and never came back since.

Is CHEMI-CLEAN LR, Invert, Coral, Fish safe? I use well water (still) and I started having this about a month ago. Havent spread much - but still there like "diaper rash".