Waterproofing for inside a new canopy

jamesbuf

I just built my new canopy for my 60gal and I want to paint the inside of the canopy to help it stand up to water damage. What paint or sealant should I use??? Also, my canopy is a plain old plywood veneer right now, and I want to stain/paint it black so it matches my black stand and tank trim. Should I just paint it with one of "glossy" paints, or should I stain the wood black and cover it with a clear coat? Obviously this is new to me, so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

For the inside, go with an epoxy to seal it off. The epoxy will be an oil-base and a PITA to clean up. Be sure you have mineral spirits around. For the outside, I think i'd go with a standard semi-gloss black paint; latex should be fine.

Thanks Brian. Will Home Depot or Lowes have that, or do I need to get it at a marine/boating shop?

I bought some stuff from Sherwin-Williams (Tile-Clad Epoxy if you want to look for it), but I think if I did it again I'd actually try the epoxy for sealing garage floors.

You can use a Rust-Oleum spar varnish, primer, and top coat for marine applications. This is what i did and they sell all the paint at both Lowes and Amazon. Here are a Amazon prices. You can get the top coat in other colors as well.

This item: Rust-Oleum 207008 Marine Spar Varnish 1-Quart by Rustoleum $15.77

Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint, White, 1-Quart by Rustoleum $14.63

Rust-Oleum 207014 Marine Wood and Fiberglass Primer 1-Quart by Rustoleum $20.97

Edited by kingfish

You can use a Rust-Oleum spar varnish, primer, and top coat for marine applications. This is what i did and they sell all the paint at both Lowes and Amazon. Here are a Amazon prices. You can get the top coat in other colors as well.

This item: Rust-Oleum 207008 Marine Spar Varnish 1-Quart by Rustoleum $15.77

Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint, White, 1-Quart by Rustoleum $14.63

Rust-Oleum 207014 Marine Wood and Fiberglass Primer 1-Quart by Rustoleum $20.97

So I'd have to use all of these right? Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to wordworking

So I'd have to use all of these right? Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to wordworking

If its already painted you can use primer and top coat. For new wood you want to use spar varnish first folled by priimer and top coat. The directions are on the can. It easy :biggrin: