Transferring A Tank

WaterDog

Our neighbor gave us a Red Sea Max 250 (About 65 Gallons) for free, and we are in the process of cleaning it and making salt water. I was wondering if anyone would care to help us transfer from the old tank to the new tank. We would be willing to give out possible goodies from the 46 BF, or frags from the new tank once it is established.

I can also probably help, depending on when you want to do it (some family stuff over the next few days, but somewhat open).

For that small of a tank, it should go pretty quickly.

Our neighbor gave us a Red Sea Max 250 (About 65 Gallons) for free, and we are in the process of cleaning it and making salt water. I was wondering if anyone would care to help us transfer from the old tank to the new tank. We would be willing to give out possible goodies from the 46 BF, or frags from the new tank once it is established.

Check the skimmer pump - if it's a hydor, call Red Sea and buy a new pump assy from them (sicce) as the impellor design on the hydor is noisy and fragile.

Thanks everyone, right now we're looking at probably transferring the tanks on the 29th or 30th. Still have to cycle some more rock and run the tank to make sure everything's working.

Check the skimmer pump - if it's a hydor, call Red Sea and buy a new pump assy from them (sicce) as the impellor design on the hydor is noisy and fragile.

Thanks for the tip, we're going out to get one tomorrow.

I have to work both days till 5:30, but I can help in the evening after that if you need.

Thanks everyone, right now we're looking at probably transferring the tanks on the 29th or 30th. Still have to cycle some more rock and run the tank to make sure everything's working.

Thanks for the tip, we're going out to get one tomorrow.

Probably should test the fans for the lights and the evaporative cooler and replace them if they are noisy. They aren't expensive. I've never used a heater on my tank - the pumps keep everything running at around 78F if the ambient temp in the room is 71-72F, at least in my room. In the summer, I run the tank with the evap fans and the front of the hood open. It has a tendancy to run hot otherwise.

If you don't have an Auto Top-off (ATO) get one. The RSM 250 skimmer runs best if the water level on the sight glass (left rear) stays @ 1 notch down from the top. This is also the best setting for water level for the evaporative cooling to work, in my experience. Not having an ATO on this tank makes running the skimmer a pita. The optimal shutter setting for the overflow is about 2cm down from max, I think. With all the pumps running, the main water level will be just even with the little troughs the hood supports sit in. It will take 3 minutes for the level to stabilize in the rear portion of the tank when you turn the pumps on. For this reason, I turn off the main pumps, the skimmer (it will wet skim with the main pumps off) and the ATO when I feed. The process I use for turn up after feeding is main pumps on, wait 3, skimmer on, ATO on. If you don't turn off the ATO, it will overfill the rear compartment and the skimmer box will float a little until the excess water evaps.

http://www.redseamax...max/FAQ250.html

The RSM 250 is a neat tank, but like all set ups, it has it's idiosyncrasies. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the tip, we just got an ATO (I think a Tsunami AT1)

Right now notwithstanding weather or other factors, we're probably going to do the switch thursday sometimes mid to late afternoon. PM me if you're free and interested.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip, we just got an ATO (I think a Tsunami AT1)

Right now notwithstanding weather or other factors, we're probably going to do the switch thursday sometimes mid to late afternoon. PM me if you're free and interested.

Thanks

Bump. Anyone? Remember, there will be little pieces that can be given away if you help. :biggrin:

Sorry, Adam, I dont get out of work till 5:30, then it would be a bit later before I could actually be there (likely 6:30-7 after feeding my dogs and seahorses plus traffic). If you are still going at that point, I would be happy to help out though. Let me know.

What day do you plan on? You mentioned both today and tomorrow.