Seeding the dead sand

RicSG

I am seeding the dead sand with little live sand. Question is how long does it take for the process? My tank is a 90 Gal. if anyone has better solution please let me know as I have not started yet.

What's the ratio of Dead Sand to Live Sand? Are you adding live rock? Are you using any fish to help with the nitrogen cycle?

I used 40lbs of live sand to "seed" about 300lbs of dead sand earlier this year. I also added some live rock, damsels and a couple of clowns to help with the process. My sand went through a large algae bloom after about 30 days. I added some snails, shortened my light schedule and bye bye bloom.

I doubt anyone can give you a definite answer since every tank is different and the rate at which the sand bed becomes colonized would depend on many variables. Plus the whole thing happens on a microscopic level which makes it hard to see. I can say that the algae bloom on the sand and a drop in nitrate levels are a good way to gauge it. If I had to put a time frame on it I would say three months, but again it would depend on many factors such as bio-load, grain size, bed depth, water flow, water change schedule and a few others.